Tortoise sex?

mase01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Redcar
Can someone help sex my tortoise? I think from what I have read it’s male, it’s only 2 month old?

Attachments

• 11CE2437-D365-4544-9E97-8EA5A95B133E.jpeg
    11CE2437-D365-4544-9E97-8EA5A95B133E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • D1DA5892-6514-4B3F-A859-F51C4C5D3BB6.jpeg
    D1DA5892-6514-4B3F-A859-F51C4C5D3BB6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47

Scott Barr

Coronado/California
I purchased what I thought were male and female marginated tortoises, as identified by the seller. The male was presented as 5 years old, while the "femaile was slightly smaller and presented as 4 years. Forward 1.5 years later. The "female" is now nearly as big as the male and far more aggressive --including regularly biting, mounting and thumping the male. "She" is less elongated than the male, but marginated shell at the rear is now more flared than before. Both have similar looking tales. Question: is it clear to you more experienced folks that the "female" is really a male? I had paid more for this sex.

Scott

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I purchased what I thought were male and female marginated tortoises, as identified by the seller. The male was presented as 5 years old, while the "femaile was slightly smaller and presented as 4 years. Forward 1.5 years later. The "female" is now nearly as big as the male and far more aggressive --including regularly biting, mounting and thumping the male. "She" is less elongated than the male, but marginated shell at the rear is now more flared than before. Both have similar looking tales. Question: is it clear to you more experienced folks that the "female" is really a male? I had paid more for this sex.

Scott

Tortoises should never be kept in pairs, even in female/male groups. The aggressive one definitely could be female, but regardless they need to be separated.

Could we see a picture to sex “her”?

Scott Barr

Coronado/California
My 5 and 6 year old marginated tortoises live in a back yard and roam freely. So even though one is aggressive toward the other, it is easy to get away. For some reason the bigger and more docile one seeks out the complany of the aggressor. Sometimes he will even take a U turn after running away. IMG_0072-2.JPGIMG_0073 copy.JPGIMG_0071.JPG

Scott Barr

Coronado/California
Top picture is what I think is a male. The middle pciture the female. The bottom picture of the two, the female is in the upper part of the picture. Thanks in advance for your thoughts about their sex. Scott

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My 5 and 6 year old marginated tortoises live in a back yard and roam freely. So even though one is aggressive toward the other, it is easy to get away. For some reason the bigger and more docile one seeks out the complany of the aggressor. Sometimes he will even take a U turn after running away. View attachment 251973View attachment 251974View attachment 251976

I assure you, they are not “seeking out eachother’s company”. That’s one tortoise trying to look for the other to chase it away.

“Cuddling” , following”, sleeping in the same hide, and sitting face to face are all one tortoise trying to push the other out of its territory, not signs of affection. Tortoises are solitary animals, who quite literally cannot make friends, and do not have a concept of “affection”.

Even with a large yard, your tortoises cannot escape from eachother fully. Heck, the dominant looks for the submissive just to bully it. They definitely need to be separated. They are competitors, not friends.

Sadly, I cannot sex them. However, someone likely will be able to. I would recommend starting your own thread.