Tortoise Shampoo! Any thoughts?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I was waiting to see the OP say, "April Fools!" and admit it was a joke.

I've used a dab or Dawn on a tortoise before who was coated in GREASE and I felt bad about that. We definitely just soak with water.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I was waiting to see the OP say, "April Fools!" and admit it was a joke.

I've used a dab or Dawn on a tortoise before who was coated in GREASE and I felt bad about that. We definitely just soak with water.
From experience a hood biological powder is better for grease on a hot wash with maximum spin and then 70 minutes in the tumble dryer

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
From experience a hood biological powder is better for grease on a hot wash with maximum spin and then 70 minutes in the tumble dryer

As someone who accidentally turned on a dryer with a sleeping cat in it once I can assure you that the mess made while tumbling is worse than the grease. Lucky for me she was only in there for a minute - the poop was mashed into all of the little vent holes in the drum. I had to wait for it to dry out to get it all.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As someone who accidentally turned on a dryer with a sleeping cat in it once I can assure you that the mess made while tumbling is worse than the grease. Lucky for me she was only in there for a minute - the poop was mashed into all of the little vent holes in the drum. I had to wait for it to dry out to get it all.
Yeah, but mammals are different to reptiles :p

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Using this stuff is a joke! Absolutely no reason for it. Soak the tort in plain water and use a soft brush if you really need to. I don't think any torts are going to a beauty pageant.

As for the rabbit cage for the torts, really bad idea and you are going to speed money on rad. why not invest in a good closed chamber for the ones you currently have.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
We are getting Speedy a "soap on a rope" for Christmas ! He can hang it around his neck and take it along when he soaks ! :cool:

Slider_3_-_Soap_On_A_Rope

b0215.gif

jptv

How are you able to keep humidity up? They do need it. Also you do know that species should not be mixed.

I have UV light, heat lamp and since the rabbit cage is portable, I'm able to put it outside so that they can have sunlight at least 3 to 4 times a week. I live in tropical country and humidity is not a big problem. :) for the mix concerns... I am aware of that. The theory is that majority like 90% will fail, but in my case so far so good. Looks like i belong to the 10% success rate. :) I have no issue of bullying. They are happy and peaceful.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
A very good point. The risk is not worth it. Thank you for the good advice. ;)
It's better to be safe than sorry. When my mother was a child, her father, a doctor, thought sunlamp treatments were good for her and her sister. They both ended up with thyroid disease as adults. My mother also had melanoma skin cancer. My point is that it took years before the results could be seen.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
my thoughts this is an attempt to get money out of tortoise Keeper's pockets. With a product that has dubious benefits at best

jptv

Save your breath.
This member seems to come on here asking for advice and then just do what they wanted to do in the first place anyway.
The member asked for a vote on another thread about keeping torts in pairs. The vote was massively a "no" but the member went with the pair anyway.
Likewise advice on the rabbit cage, humidity and now this shampoo will likely be ignored.
It is the OP's decision, of course, but I worry about the long term health of these tortoises.

Chill dude. You are entitled to your wrong opinion. The shampoo is approved and certified. And what's wrong with the humidity? I have access to sunlight because my cage is portable, I have heat lamp, I have UV light and I'm in tropical country. Be open minded. Don't be so bookish.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I have UV light, heat lamp and since the rabbit cage is portable, I'm able to put it outside so that they can have sunlight at least 3 to 4 times a week. I live in tropical country and humidity is not a big problem. :) for the mix concerns... I am aware of that. The theory is that majority like 90% will fail, but in my case so far so good. Looks like i belong to the 10% success rate. :) I have no issue of bullying. They are happy and peaceful.
As someone obsessed with gaming theory and odds I find this comment insane.

So you acknowledge a 90% failure rate and you decided that was good enough odds to go by?

As for the product, certified and approved by who? I can find someone to certify and approve anything. The very experienced keepers here are almost universally telling you it is likely to do more harm then good but yet you want to go with your research...