Tortoise Shell

K.Rami

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
A86197C5-0BDA-4DC1-BFD8-6E616EBCEF25.jpeg
Hello! Recently I got a Russian tortoise, he seems to be doing fine maintaining his eating days, hydrating, and overall being active (when it’s not his rests days and starve days). We created a schedule for him and he’s been doing fine but he fell off course a bit this week and hasn’t eaten today or yesterday (just wanted to mention in case it was important). We also bought calcium powder and check up on the temperature in his terrarium. The main thing I’m concerned about however is his shell, it seems to be ashy and there’s parts of his shell I’m worried about but it doesn’t seem like it’s sores or cracks? Just kind of small holes as shown in the image. I just don’t really know what it is? If anyone has any recommendations on what to do to take care of his shell or etc. Please share!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That looks like a pretty normal wild caught Russian shell.

Your tortoise should not have "starve" days. That is old incorrect info. Any other info you got from that source should be suspect too.

Here is the correct care info. Please give it a read, and then come back with all your questions: