Tortoise shell

LJLC

Location (City and/or State)
Las vegas
Someone take a look at my tortoises shell and let me know if he is okay. My desert tortoise got out of my backyard and was gone for a week and a half maybe two. I found him locked in one of my neighbors backyard that has nothing but concrete and there was no girl for him. In addition the neighbor has a pitbull. I removed the tortoise from my neighbor's backyard when I discovered him. I think my neighbor tried to keep my tortoise. Anyway here is a picture of what his show looked like. I currently have him in the house for a week and put them out this morning in a new world that I made. Please see it too much pictures

Attachments

• 20221003_073022.jpg
    20221003_073022.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20221003_073019.jpg
    20221003_073019.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220927_151004.jpg
    20220927_151004.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220928_072102.jpg
    20220928_072102.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks fine too me.
What's not okay is if you are housing two together. Tortoises should not be housed in pairs and surely not one male to one female.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well here I go...that looks like Gopherus agassizii to me and I'm kinda pretty sure it is illegal to breed them, I know you need a permit in Nevada. All of us who love our desert tortoises want to breed them to make more...but we shouldn't. And you need to call the cops as your neighbor kept a federally protected animal. Interesting how you spotted him in your neighbors yard...anyway, welcome, but please separate your animalsDSCN0303.JPGthe last one I had...

LJLC

Las vegas
I'm going to answer both of you in the same message. First my concern is the white on his back end. Second, is the dark spot up towards his neck. Third, the color of his shell seems to be darker. I have attached a picture from April of 2022 which shows his shell was a different color and there was no white marks or spots.
I only have one tortoise, I do not breed any tortoise. I am a member of the Torches Group which is the only Federal recognized group in the state of Nevada to provide care for tortoises. I am in the process of working through the tortoise group regarding my neighbor holding him illegally and possibly abusive him. As I stated above he was out on concrete in the sun constantly and had no protection or burrow and I am not sure if he received proper water or food.

LJLC

Las vegas
Here are pictures of my tortoise for some reason the site wasn't allow me to attach to the above message. Thank you any assistance or comments are appreciated

Attachments

• 20220407_123108.jpg
    20220407_123108.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220407_123115.jpg
    20220407_123115.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220407_123121.jpg
    20220407_123121.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3

zovick

10 Year Member!
I'm going to answer both of you in the same message. First my concern is the white on his back end. Second, is the dark spot up towards his neck. Third, the color of his shell seems to be darker. I have attached a picture from April of 2022 which shows his shell was a different color and there was no white marks or spots.
I only have one tortoise, I do not breed any tortoise. I am a member of the Torches Group which is the only Federal recognized group in the state of Nevada to provide care for tortoises. I am in the process of working through the tortoise group regarding my neighbor holding him illegally and possibly abusive him. As I stated above he was out on concrete in the sun constantly and had no protection or burrow and I am not sure if he received proper water or food.
The white marks on the rear of the tortoise between several of the scutes look like they are very old rather than new marks. It seems possible that they have been there for some time and that you just noticed them because you are examining the tortoise more carefully due to your concern about the treatment it received at the neighbor's house.

Personally, I see no reason for concern (if those are the marks which you meant).

LJLC

Las vegas
The white marks on the rear of the tortoise between several of the scutes look like they are very old rather than new marks. It seems possible that they have been there for some time and that you just noticed them because you are examining the tortoise more carefully due to your concern about the treatment it received at the neighbor's house.

Personally, I see no reason for concern (if those are the marks which you meant).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll throw out my two cents:

How can you be sure this isn't your neighbor's tortoise? They look like two separate tortoises to me. Your tortoise is lighter in color and doesn't have the OLD, HEALED injury between the rear scutes. If that was fresh, it might possibly be the same tortoise, BUT they don't change color within just a couple of days. . . it takes weeks. Your neighbor's tortoise is a bit on the flat side, whereas older pictures of your tortoise show an animal with a higher dome.

If this were my situation I'd be out looking for my escaped tortoise, putting up fliers and advertising.

LJLC

Las vegas
Thank you. I feel better. I was concerned if shell rot, and I do not know what black spot on top of shell is. I did was him twice with dawn soap and was thinking of putting coconut oil in the white spots and black spot. What do you think?
I'll throw out my two cents:

How can you be sure this isn't your neighbor's tortoise? They look like two separate tortoises to me. Your tortoise is lighter in color and doesn't have the OLD, HEALED injury between the rear scutes. If that was fresh, it might possibly be the same tortoise, BUT they don't change color within just a couple of days. . . it takes weeks. Your neighbor's tortoise is a bit on the flat side, whereas older pictures of your tortoise show an animal with a higher dome.

If this were my situation I'd be out looking for my escaped tortoise, putting up fliers and advertising.

LJLC

Las vegas
My tortoise has a microchip. I removed my tortoise from my neighbor's yard I had the chip scanned it is registered to the tortoise group of Southern Nevada and I am the registered caretaker. This is my tortoise.
In addition, I believe the color change is due to being in the hot sun all day without the shelter of a burrow. Equal to sunburn in humans.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Coconut oil is a good thing, and I have no idea what the black spot is, unless it's a mark your neighbor made to show ownership. Have you tried to wash it off?

Thank goodness for the chip, huh?

LJLC

Las vegas
Yes when I adopted him, I had the tortoise group microchip him. I will try the coconut oil and I did try to wash the mark off, but I believe it's a permanent marker and it'll just take time to wear off. I will put the coconut oil on the white spots as well as the black mark. Thank you very much for your time and assistance it is appreciated.

LJLC

Las vegas
I put LJ in his bureau yesterday, after he has been in my home for a week stabilizing from his experience with my next door neighbor. I'm a bit concerned today as he walked into his Borough but has not been out all day and his food dish and water dish are untouched. Is this normal behavior?

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
It may take him a while to get over his triple move. From your yard to the neighbors, then to your house, and last, to his burrow. Just a thought, but are you sure he escaped from your house, and wasn't taken?

LJLC

Las vegas
Thank you. He came out today. Strawberries and bananas at the front entrance did the trick.
Love this sight