Newbie question about hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

etirhonda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello from Southern California!

This tortoise showed up in my backyard on Thanksgiving Day. I have always wanted a tortoise, so this was a wonderful gift!
He is 10" long, bright green eyes, red on the side of his face with a dark grey shell. My sister has desert tortoise that has been in hibernation for several weeks, why do you think this one is not? My son made a burrow for him, but he keeps leaving it and hides among all the plants and bushes in my backyard.
I would appreciate any info. you can provide!

Rhonda

I attached some photos, so you would be able to see him, but my photos didn't attach!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Rhonda,
It sounds like you've found a Red-eared slider. It's not staying in a burrow because it's a water turtle and not a tortoise.
If you can post a picture we can tell you for sure what it is.

Danny

etirhonda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you so much Danny! I tried posting photos, but they didn't attach to the message.

etirhonda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
After googling images for the red earred turtle...I think you are right! The turtle in my yard looks a lot like the ones in the photos.

Thank you again

Rhonda

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Is there a pond near you that you can release him back to?
Patsy

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Forgot about that :p

If your in California, it would be a good idea not to let him go. You need to find a rescue to take him in, if your not going to keep him. :)

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
K9KidsLove said:
Hi...Is there a pond near you that you can release him back to?
Patsy

In quite a few states its against the law to release non-native turtles into the wild. You should check to see if there's a turtle rescue near you, or even give him to the SPCA. If you don't have an outdoor pond, its quite a chore to keep a water turtle healthy (in an indoor aquarium).

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Rhonda, Where in So. Cal are you located? Perhaps we can help you find a rescure.
Or if you plan to keep it I suggest you set up signs in your neighborhood to see if anyone has lost one. For now you can place it in a Rubbermaid tote with water in it Just enough to cover its shell and a rock or brick so that it can get above the water line. It will eat greens like Romaine lettuce or you can get it some of the pellets for aquatic turtles for now. Just know they need to be able to get underwater to eat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for getting us back on track, Robyn. I completely ignored the fact that Rhonda might be interested in keeping this turtle.

Rhonda: I have successfully hibernated water turtles in a Rubbermaid tote with rotting leaves in the bottom. I punch holes in the lid, place a layer of wet leaves in the bottom, then the turtle, then more wet leaves, so the tote is about halfway full of leaves. Put the lid on tightly. About once a week I added a pitcherfull of water if the leaves were drying out. They don't need to be wet, just damp or moist. Some water turtles prefer to hibernate at the bottom of the pond under the water in the mud, but if you don't have a pond, the rubbermaid tote of leaves will do just fine.

Since you found this turtle outside, it stands to reason the turtle came from some sort of outside pond, so you would be doing the turtle a dis-service to set it up in an aquarium. Red ear sliders can get pretty big. A full grown female would need an aquarium larger than 50 gallons to be able to get the exercise it needs. Then there's the filter, the dock, the heater and the lights. Turtles are very messy because they have to be under water in order to swallow their food. So the water gets dirty really fast and you need a very good filter. But after it is through hibernating, you can make-shift a pretty nice turtle pond out of a kiddie plastic wading pool, a pre-formed pond, etc. And these are much easier to flush with the hose to clean out.

Let us know what you decide to do. There are several Forum members here who belong to the turtle club in SoCal, and can help you if you want to find the turtle a new home.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

Please Rhonda, no matter what you decide to do releasing him is not an option...there are several rescues in SoCal that will help you...

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Since she said the RES walked into her yard I assumed it was a wild one, that is why I suggested putting it back near a pond if there was one near her. That is what is recomended in MS. I didn't realize she was in CA. Their rules are way different...and usually better, in my opinion. Sorry about the incorrect advice.
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.