Tortoise signs

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
I am sure you are not the only one here who has these!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I would worry a bit about putting signs like that on my gate, as I would be advertising the fact that I had a tortoise, which might encourage someone to break in and steal Zola. We keep pretty quiet about his existence here, although he meets lots of people elsewhere. Usually we take him with us if we both go out together, of course. We had a friend who had a very large sulcate which got stolen - he was lifted over a tall wire fence so there were at least 2 people involved. In the end he was tracked down, having been sold to a pet shop many miles away for a lot of money, but he was never the same again after his ordeal.
Angie

innocent

Acton, Ca
I would worry a bit about putting signs like that on my gate, as I would be advertising the fact that I had a tortoise, which might encourage someone to break in and steal Zola. We keep pretty quiet about his existence here, although he meets lots of people elsewhere. Usually we take him with us if we both go out together, of course. We had a friend who had a very large sulcate which got stolen - he was lifted over a tall wire fence so there were at least 2 people involved. In the end he was tracked down, having been sold to a pet shop many miles away for a lot of money, but he was never the same again after his ordeal.
Angie
But I am afraid if I don't post the warning and someone is attacked I may be held liable for injuries.

innocent

Acton, Ca
Haha just kidding. I guess in many circumstances signs may be advertising to thieves but my home is sit over a thousand feet from the road so the only people that see them are friendlies.

innocent

Acton, Ca
Really surprising to hear about the effort to steal tortoises though that's kinda crazy.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Really surprising to hear about the effort to steal tortoises though that's kinda crazy.
We live in the UK, and there are no wild tortoises around - and not that many kept as pets either, though more than there used to be - so a big handsome sulcata like the one stolen was quite rare, and worth quite a lot of money.
We come across lots of people who have never met or even seen a tortoise of any kind.
Angie