Tortoise Sleeping all winter long ❄️

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello all, Happy Holidays!
I have a 18 year old Russian Tortoise, who since about early December has been slowing down quite often. He does come out occasionally and eat if I wake him, I am making sure to give him plenty of soaks as well. I was curious as to if this could be due to the temperature drops here in Texas? He’s an indoor tort who has regulated temps inside, I also make sure to put a ceramic heat bulb on for him at night if the temperature drops too low since his enclosure is right under a window. He has a hide box full of hay and soft cloths (he loves soft things ?) is he brumating? Is there anything else I should be doing? I just noticed that he has been slowing down quite a bit, if I remember correctly it happend around this time last year as well. Thank you all!
D33ED65B-C802-404B-8C25-5FBA2B8C6608.jpeg Here’s the lil cutie in his Holiday hat ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Keep in mind that the hay and soft cloths doesn't help him get any warmer.
Tortoises are cold blooded.
Also, he needs UV light and it doesn't get through window glass.
That said, you're obviously doing most things correctly. And yes. Tortoises do slow down this time of year.
Make sure he gets warm enough to fully digest any food that he eats.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello all, Happy Holidays!
I have a 18 year old Russian Tortoise, who since about early December has been slowing down quite often. He does come out occasionally and eat if I wake him, I am making sure to give him plenty of soaks as well. I was curious as to if this could be due to the temperature drops here in Texas? He’s an indoor tort who has regulated temps inside, I also make sure to put a ceramic heat bulb on for him at night if the temperature drops too low since his enclosure is right under a window. He has a hide box full of hay and soft cloths (he loves soft things ?) is he brumating? Is there anything else I should be doing? I just noticed that he has been slowing down quite a bit, if I remember correctly it happend around this time last year as well. Thank you all!
View attachment 337770 Here’s the lil cutie in his Holiday hat ?
Tort is adorable in that hat! However, definitely does not get “warm” like us humans do by producing body heat as far as I know when we wear items like that. I can add @Tom to clarify this.

different types of substrate higher temp bulbs will help with regulation during arid temp changes