Sleeping

Eadie

Location (City and/or State)
Kent England
Hi can anyone help
I have had my 4 year old hermanns Herbie for a couple of days now he seems to have settled in very well his set up seems fine, he is eating well, definitely pooing well he's had a soak each day although I haven't seen him drink (water bowl has gone down a little so not sure if he's knocked it or has had a secret drink without me seeing ๐Ÿ˜‚)
So in general he seems good but I would just like to know how long he should be sleeping for he seems to wake up eat have a little wander around then it's back to bed ๐Ÿ™„
Wakes up eats back to sleep
This seems to be his daily routine
Which is not a problem for me as long as he's ok ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ
Can anyone shed any light on whether this is normal please

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
It takes a little while for them to settle in to new surroundings, give it time it's all perfectly normal Eadie

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Yeah we should.
I do really appreciate all the help you've given me,it does take a while for members to answer x
I know, the problem ia most of the experts live on the other side of the world to us, so they're here while we sleep ๐Ÿ˜‚ it is a great place though, i love to read through all the threads

Eadie

Kent England
I know, the problem ia most of the experts live on the other side of the world to us, so they're here while we sleep ๐Ÿ˜‚ it is a great place though, i love to read through all the threads
Yeah me too I've learnt so much already
I really didn't realise how much went into having a tortoise

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Yeah me too I've learnt so much already
I really didn't realise how much went into having a tortoise
i love it though, i work during the day and worry constantly, my husband says i look after the tort better than i did the kids!!!:oops::oops::eek::eek:..................................... he might be right :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Babies of all types mainly sleep, eat, do bowel movements, tortoise hatchlings are the same.

Sit back and just relax a bit. ๐ŸŒž

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi can anyone help
I have had my 4 year old hermanns Herbie for a couple of days now he seems to have settled in very well his set up seems fine, he is eating well, definitely pooing well he's had a soak each day although I haven't seen him drink (water bowl has gone down a little so not sure if he's knocked it or has had a secret drink without me seeing ๐Ÿ˜‚)
So in general he seems good but I would just like to know how long he should be sleeping for he seems to wake up eat have a little wander around then it's back to bed ๐Ÿ™„
Wakes up eats back to sleep
This seems to be his daily routine
Which is not a problem for me as long as he's ok ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ
Can anyone shed any light on whether this is normal please
I agree with the other posters that new tortoises usually take a week or two to really settle in and get used to their new territory, but because of the vast amount of bad information out there, it is worth making sure that you aren't making any of the most common mistakes that new people make when they get the usual bad advice.
1. Your substrate should be fine grade orchid bark, 3-4 inches thick, and damp. It should not be dry, beech chips, sandy, hay, Pets at Home, soil, or anything else.
2. Make sure you are to using a cfl type bulb for UV. These are ineffective and sometimes burn tortoise eyes. It can make them hide all day to avoid the eye burning pain.
3. Make sure your enclosure is large enough. A 4 year old hermanni needs at least 4x8 feet, and most pet shops sell enclosure that are a quarter of that size at best.
4. Soak daily for a couple of weeks, and then taper it back to a couple of times per week over time.
5. Be sure your temperatures are all correct. Basking area should be 36-37C directly under the bulb, warm side around 23-27C, cool side as low as 18-21C during the day, and over night low should stay above 15-6C.
All of the above and more can be found right here:

Your questions are welcome! :)

Eadie

Kent England
I agree with the other posters that new tortoises usually take a week or two to really settle in and get used to their new territory, but because of the vast amount of bad information out there, it is worth making sure that you aren't making any of the most common mistakes that new people make when they get the usual bad advice.
1. Your substrate should be fine grade orchid bark, 3-4 inches thick, and damp. It should not be dry, beech chips, sandy, hay, Pets at Home, soil, or anything else.
2. Make sure you are to using a cfl type bulb for UV. These are ineffective and sometimes burn tortoise eyes. It can make them hide all day to avoid the eye burning pain.
3. Make sure your enclosure is large enough. A 4 year old hermanni needs at least 4x8 feet, and most pet shops sell enclosure that are a quarter of that size at best.
4. Soak daily for a couple of weeks, and then taper it back to a couple of times per week over time.
5. Be sure your temperatures are all correct. Basking area should be 36-37C directly under the bulb, warm side around 23-27C, cool side as low as 18-21C during the day, and over night low should stay above 15-6C.
All of the above and more can be found right here:

Your questions are welcome! :)
Thankyou Tom โ˜บ๏ธ