Tortoise soaking in her water

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriksmom

5 Year Member
I just got a Tortoise I am told she is 25 as best as we can tell she is a Russian, We got her Friday (today is tuesday) How often do they eat, everything I find online is contradictory and today she climbed in her water dish and has been there for the past hour and a half is this normal? She climbed in before but not this long? Also any suggestions a house, right now she is in a terrarium with just sand a couple rocks and her water, we are thinking of making a more elaborate "turtle table" any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi eriksmom:

Welcome to the forum!

May we know your name and where you are?

First of all, we need to see a picture of your tortoise to be sure it IS a Russian.

Secondly, some types of turtle and tortoise sit in the water a lot when they're sick and don't feel well. Others just naturally like the water.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi eriksmom! I would find out how the russian was cared for from prior keeper? That is if she was there with that person for most/all of her life.....I always cringe at the thought of sand as living area...only due to impaction threat....it looks good but in my opinion is not so good. Will you provide artificial heat/uv rays? Or will you plan to take her out to get some real sun each day? A place for her to hide under soul likely be appreciated :D. There are lots of folks on the forum that will offer you valuable info....enjoy and welcome!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I would get rid of the sand, if eaten it can cause an impaction and that could lead to the tortoise not surviving.

As I am not an expert on Russians, but I know that photo's are always helpful and that should be of your tortoise and the set up you have her in..

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hi! Welcome to TFO! :)

I would suggest changing out the substrate (bedding) from Sand to something more safe. At least mixing in some cypress mulch or coco coir. Some people use organic potting soil or sphagnum peat moss. See what works best for your tortoise. Sand is just a little dangerous because It can be digested.

She is probably soaking in the tub for a while because it might be a little too dry in there for her. What kind of lighting do you have in there now? What does her diet look like? Can you post some pictures?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is not the norm for them to soak that long usually, but it is not unheard of plus tortoises are different, some love to soak others act like it is poison and get out as quick as possible. My russians don't really like to soak, but they do like to drink often. As long as your russian is not spending all day in their I would really not worry, plus on feeding mine get fed once a day, plus I usually have some type of plants growing in there if they want to graze.

eriksmom

5 Year Member
Sorry, My name is Tish and I am from Oregon., she does have a uv light and a heat light, I also have been taking her outside to play in the yard and she seems to LOVE it! That is interesting about the sand everywhere i have looked at on line said that sand is great for them, there is so much misinformation out there thanks! We are thinking of doing a box where she can "hide" in a spot, an area where there is plants that are safe for her to eat, we were going to do a sand area and of course a water spot. I am trying to figure out how to put a picture on here As soon as I do I will.

/Users/Tish/Desktop/Zoey .jpg

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
eriksmom said:
Sorry, My name is Tish and I am from Oregon., she does have a uv light and a heat light, I also have been taking her outside to play in the yard and she seems to LOVE it! That is interesting about the sand everywhere i have looked at on line said that sand is great for them, there is so much misinformation out there thanks! We are thinking of doing a box where she can "hide" in a spot, an area where there is plants that are safe for her to eat, we were going to do a sand area and of course a water spot. I am trying to figure out how to put a picture on here As soon as I do I will.

/Users/Tish/Desktop/Zoey .jpg

I would definitely suggest you look under our enclosure threads. You'll get some great ideas.

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
my tortoise loves to soak since well i live in texas and its hot so she cools down in it

Status
Not open for further replies.