Is this a Russian Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriksmom

5 Year Member
zoey 2.jpg

We just got her this weekend. We are told she is 25 years old. As this is our first time having a Tortoise any advice on enclosures and diet would be GREATLY appreciated. (Especially diet) I found a lot of info online but it seems to contradict itself... :( She is currently in a terrarium with just sand and a few rocks along with her water dish. She LOVES playing in the back yard so we were thinking of making something that simulated that more...

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
That's a russian all right. looks like my 3.
Diet is simple but should be varied here is what I feed mine. Hibiscus leaves and flowers, radish tops, squash leaves and flowers ( includes zucchini pumpkin and all the others), grape leaves, pansies flowers and leaves artichoke leaves, strawberry leaves, fruits and vegetables should be kept to a minimum, only as a treat. I feed mine strawberry tops for their treat which they love.
An outdoor enclosure should be built for it they do much better outdoors then indoors IMHO.
Age will be next to impossible to determine, and if you get a tail shot we should be able to sex it for you if you like.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Welcome to the forum!

Nice russian - ditch the sand though! Use something like a peatmoss, eco earth or black earth. Even a combination of different substrates is fine too.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, that is a Russian you have there ;)

Here is an article I wrote JUST for you... Well, you and anyone else that is new to the tortoise world. Give it a good read, it will answer most of your basic questions, and then feel free to ask about anything you are unclear on - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1PHwoyLXt

Outside is always best for tortoises ;) Russians are diggers and climbers, so you have to have a very secure pen for them.

Welcome to the forum!

eriksmom

5 Year Member
Sweet thanks!! One more thing, To soak or not to soak? She spent a LONG time in her water dish today like (an hour and a half today)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Definitely soak. I was going to mention she looked a bit dry. If she is self soaking, that tells you how dehydrated she is. Russians aren't the biggest deep water fans. Mine usually drink outside when I have the sprinkler going, the sip out of the little pools that form on the ground. They will usually void their bladder at the same time. Some of what comes out of their bladder is usually a white substance. It should not be pinkish or hard and gritty. It is called urates and they are normal to an extent.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tish:

I can't stress this enough: Tortoises, especially Russian tortoises, belong outside! They benefit greatly from the open spaces and the sun. Please think about making your tortoise's main habitat an outdoor habitat, and only bringing it indoors during inclement weather.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ditto to what is said here and especially agree with Yvonne....have fun and that is a beautiful tortoise :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
but build a safe escape proof enclosure first! dont just put her outside and intend to watch her... you will loose her..

Snow-Belle

5 Year Member
Kristina said:
Yes, that is a Russian you have there ;)

Here is an article I wrote JUST for you... Well, you and anyone else that is new to the tortoise world. Give it a good read, it will answer most of your basic questions, and then feel free to ask about anything you are unclear on - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1PHwoyLXt

Outside is always best for tortoises ;) Russians are diggers and climbers, so you have to have a very secure pen for them.

Welcome to the forum!

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
What a beautiful tortoise! I have a russian & she loves to be outside! You can tell by the look on her face, she just perks up and gets very active when she's outside. It's very rewarding to build a habitat for her & then watch her enjoy it. I'm always looking for new ideas on how to make things better for her. There are tons of ideas on the forum so feel free to look around :)

eriksmom

5 Year Member
zoogrl said:
What a beautiful tortoise! I have a russian & she loves to be outside! You can tell by the look on her face, she just perks up and gets very active when she's outside. It's very rewarding to build a habitat for her & then watch her enjoy it. I'm always looking for new ideas on how to make things better for her. There are tons of ideas on the forum so feel free to look around :)

Yes she LOVES playing in the back yard, I don't think we can keep her outside all the time especially at night, we have a lot of "predators" in our area. I try and take her outside everyday!

Status
Not open for further replies.