Tortoise Soil

TessaTortTime

Location (City and/or State)
Rhode Island
Hey guys,

I'm new in the forum and wanted suggestions on which organic potting soil is best to use. I currently use the substrate from the local pet store but noticed the little white mites that come along with it. Thanks in advance!

nicoleann2214

NY
Hey guys,

I'm new in the forum and wanted suggestions on which organic potting soil is best to use. I currently use the substrate from the local pet store but noticed the little white mites that come along with it. Thanks in advance!
Soil isn’t the best substrate. What type of tortoise are you housing? @Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys,

Soil should never be used under a tortoise. There is no way to know what composted yard waste it is made of and it could be something toxic or irritating.

The "white mites" are called springtails, and they do not come with the pet store substrate. They come from the environment and will colonize any substrate that is suitable for your tortoise. They are harmless detrivores and in time they will balance out and be much less numerous and mostly go unnoticed. These can't harm your tortoise in any way and infect they help by reduce the waste. Some people pay money to buy these springtails and put them in their enclosures to create a "bioactive" substrate.

What species of tortoise did you get? What size?

TessaTortTime

Rhode Island
Soil should never be used under a tortoise. There is no way to know what composted yard waste it is made of and it could be something toxic or irritating.

The "white mites" are called springtails, and they do not come with the pet store substrate. They come from the environment and will colonize any substrate that is suitable for your tortoise. They are harmless detrivores and in time they will balance out and be much less numerous and mostly go unnoticed. These can't harm your tortoise in any way and infect they help by reduce the waste. Some people pay money to buy these springtails and put them in their enclosures to create a "bioactive" substrate.

What species of tortoise did you get? What size?
Wow ! Very useful info Tom. She is a 8 month old Redfoot tortoise, about 3 inches long