Tortoise suddenly hates my toes?

kooltyme

Location (City and/or State)
California
My tortoise is a cherry head red footed tortoise, he goes super fast (pretty much my walking speed), goes to my toes, and starts shaking his head at it, side to side. I wanted to see what would happen if I just let him keep shaking his head and after shaking his head side to side for like 3 seconds, he started making loud noises, they sounded like burping noises. He has done this in the past but he wouldnt start running out of no where.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's a mating behavior. Sounds like he's experiencing some hormones and your toes have interested him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its very important that you let him continue this behavior. Let him follow through to completion. Please video the whole thing and post it here for us. :)

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Its very important that you let him continue this behavior. Let him follow through to completion. Please video the whole thing and post it here for us. :)
Could she leave out the mating part of the process? It would be...... well a bit awkward with a foot;) :eek:

kooltyme

California
I'll try to get a video, sometimes its like he is not interested. He shakes his head for like 2 seconds then leaves

Coco Channell

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Las vegas
Pixie kisses our toes when she appreciating some food. She loves red toe nail polish She sorta nibbled on your toes if she likes you

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So is this just a mating beh

Would it be necessary to get another tortoise

No. Absolutely not. They’re generally solitary and see another tortoise as a rival for food and territory and/or something to be pestered constantly for sex.

Redfoots are better than most, but given the behaviour you already have, just let him work through his hormones.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

Lmao!! Shame on you! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tortoise is territorial. Biting is one way of telling another to go away.

He shouldn’t be roaming the floor of your house. He needs his own big enclosure - outdoors ideally - which he can patrol and keep clear of invaders.

Tortoises are always happiest, healthiest and least stressed when in a space they know to be safe and free from invaders with all 4 feet on the ground. And if you don’t want to be bitten then don’t get it in it with him.

Roaming the floor of your home, your tort is away from the heat, humidity and UVB it needs to be healthy. Tortoises aren’t particularly bright and are particularly attracted to bright coloured objects which they will try to eat even if they’re not actually edible. They’re also more susceptible to ingesting human hair and dust bunnies which can cause gut blockages.