Tortoise tongues

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Ok so what's the deal with all the adorable pics of torts with outstretched tongues? Do all of them have tongues? My Diego charms me with all kind of moves including giant open mouth yawns but I don't see a tongue in there. Is that possible? He's a Russian.. does that matter? I watch him eat ( Yes it's creepy but I have a problem and that's why I'm here) and a tongue certainly seems like it would help him actually get the food in his mouth but alas... no tongue?i knew he was the strong silent type but...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That’s really weird. Curtis usually sticks his tongue so far out I think he’ll bite it. Could you get a picture of him eating, or get a video and take screenshots of the video where you want them?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Ok I spent a whole lot of time trying to get a photo or video of the inside of Diego's mouth but was unsuccessful... BUT... I saw his tongue! It's really small and a bit pointy. It doesn't reach even close to his beak. Nothing like the big wad of bubble gum that I've been seeing in photos. I guess people can have very different size and shaped tongues so maybe that's true of torts too. Either that or a cat actually got his tongue. Now when I imagine what he is saying I'll imagine it with a speech impediment. And he just got even cuter...

Bambam1989

East Texas
Yours may have a small tongue or it may just be "tongue shy" and not want to show it off. Their tongues are very flexible and can look small one moment, then huge the next. See..
IMG_20180619_155209730_HDR.jpegIMG_20180820_134903840.jpeg