Tortoise Topper Help

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
What is a Tortoise topper? Do you mean turtle topper (basking area for turtles)?

drew54

Indiana
Those little hats that are different things like tacos, dragons,etc

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't try any of them. They are for human edification only, and don't do the tortoise any good at all. They keep the sun from giving him what he needs in the way of heat and UVB. In my opinion they are a waste of money and a foolish acquisition.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I like my tort as nature intended him with his beautiful markings on show.

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
Forcing a turtle or tortoise to wear a "topper" for more than 5 minutes is a bad idea- too stressful. Mine don't like anything but mud on their shell. We need to remember it's not that easy to be in captivity as it is.

drew54

Indiana
I find this no different than putting clothes on a dog, cat, or any other animal or person for that matter. My daughter doesn't like to wear shoes during the summer but I make her anyway. Or dress clothes to church. I've seen owners dress their animals in clothes countless times because they find it cute. Also, their children for photos, etc. I've seen many owners dress their birds, and lizards in things also. Squirrels, raccoons, etc. All of that seems acceptable, but someone can't put a topper on their tortoise? Come on people. Do you not think it's already stressful for them to be bred, sold, and placed in New environments that are artificial? This is silly. If Frank, Steve, Jill, or whoever wants to put a silly topper on their tort to get some giggles then so what.

drew54

Indiana
I find this no different than putting clothes on a dog, cat, or any other animal or person for that matter. My daughter doesn't like to wear shoes during the summer but I make her anyway. Or dress clothes to church. I've seen owners dress their animals in clothes countless times because they find it cute. Also, their children for photos, etc. I've seen many owners dress their birds, and lizards in things also. Squirrels, raccoons, etc. All of that seems acceptable, but someone can't put a topper on their tortoise? Come on people. Do you not think it's already stressful for them to be bred, sold, and placed in New environments that are artificial? This is silly. If Frank, Steve, Jill, or whoever wants to put a silly topper on their tort to get some giggles then so what.

I really doubt the tortoise is walking around thinking "man I really wish I didn't have this thing on me it doesn't benefit me at all."

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

This... Exactly.