Tortoise Town

Prize007

Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria
I also support avoiding tortoise town. Their site is all red flags from the repeated tags (every mention of a species is followed by "for sale") and when I was emailing with questions and asking about the current conditions the tortoises are kept in, they said the couldn't provide that info. I got the feeling they are not interested in quality of care. Just in making a sale. Incidentally, googling reviews for tortoise town led me here, so silver lining!

Rdeb55

Freeport
Hello everyone, after less than a month of owning my sulcata hatchling from tortoise town, and $300+ of vet bills, I’m going to go ahead and advise you not to order from tortoise town. While they have an almost perfect review score online, i have heard nothing but heartache from their customers. Their website looks proffesional, yet they use copy righted photos that do not belong to them- of tortoises that aren’t theirs. They may answer your questions with smiles and seemingly helpful (but incorrect) information- but they are nothing but crooks. They raise sick tortoises, and sell them off at crazy prices. After several messages to them about how my Tortoise is withering away, they have not so much as bat an eye at my problems. If you want a healthy Animal, contact the mods on here, or check the vendor reviews. I might loose my Innocent baby tortoises to symptoms that could’ve been prevented if they cared about their animals in the slightest. Thanks for your time.
Thank you for telling us, I also advise against Backwater reptiles, I purchased 2 sulcata tortoises from them and one was barely alive when it arrived it didn't live for 5 days. The other one is still alive but I'm told underweight. I checked his stool for worms (I have a microscope) and saw what I think were round worms but I haven't ever seen a round worm under a microscope so I'm not sure. But after 45 emails to get a refund I had to go to my credit card company and dispute the charge for the tortoise that died. They threatened to sent me to credit collections, My lawyer assures me they can try then I can sue if they do that.

pcrealty

Wynnewood
Tortoise Town operator is a teenager running a business. I was sortchanged myself last year. I wrote a letter to Google Reviews about their unethical business practices and Google Reviews deleted all their fake reviews which costs them valuable free advertising. The reviews on Tortoise Town website are fictitious and self-serving. There are many negative comments on Tortoise Town with this forum.

Tortoise Town is one of most non reputable reptile seller. I did not receive reptile vitamins that was ordered.
The scenario that you found roundworms and received sick tortoises are typical of wild caught tortoises. Vendors like Petco or Petsmart sell wild caught tortoises because they are profitable. Often wild caught tortoises have damaged shells, delivered sick and have parasites. Also, selling tortoises that are less than four inches are prohibited in most States because children can place small tortoises in their mouth and become sick with salmonella which tortoises are carriers of salmonella.

If I had to do it all over again, I would give up owning tortoises. The money expended is astronomical especially electricity. (basking and UV lamps+).

Attachments

• timmy new picture.jpg
    timmy new picture.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 24
  • tortoise bunkers 3.jpg
    tortoise bunkers 3.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Tortoise Bunks 2.jpg
    Tortoise Bunks 2.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:

pcrealty

Wynnewood
Thank you for telling us, I also advise against Backwater reptiles, I purchased 2 sulcata tortoises from them and one was barely alive when it arrived it didn't live for 5 days. The other one is still alive but I'm told underweight. I checked his stool for worms (I have a microscope) and saw what I think were round worms but I haven't ever seen a round worm under a microscope so I'm not sure. But after 45 emails to get a refund I had to go to my credit card company and dispute the charge for the tortoise that died. They threatened to sent me to credit collections, My lawyer assures me they can try then I can sue if they do that.
Try Garden State Tortoise - look under surplus: https://www.hermannihaven.com/surplus
I retract this statement

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Hi all! We ordered a box turtle and received a Hermann's tortoise from Tortoise Town aka Star Tortoise World. He has significant pyramiding on his shell, which many members of this forum confirmed and expressed concern over. Of course we will take great care of our new tortoise who we all adore and determined to be a male by the concave shell and long tail, the "breeder" did not respond when we asked if male or female. Ironically we'd paid extra for a female because we were considering two female box turtles.

I wonder if they think we wouldn't notice that we didn't get what we ordered. He looks to be maybe 5 years old and apparently was unwanted and not fed well. I let them know I'd purchased box turtle food (crickets, etc) and could they send me Mazuri for tortoises. They said not to worry they feed turtles and tortoises the same thing. Even though I knew nothing about tortoises at the time I knew that was appalling since tortoises are herbivores.

It makes me sad to think of the lack of care for these animals, and that the people care more about money than the little lives in their hands. I thought that I had done my research, but apparently I had not so I wanted to share this experience as there are many reputable breeders out there who love and care for the animals.

Attachments

• chip copy.jpeg
    chip copy.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Do not order from them!!!
They are so sketchy! I ordered my leopard from there. I love him so much, But they as a company suck. He was not raised properly before if got him, gave bad advise for care, delayed shipping for 2 weeks, didn't send the food I ordered with him, etc. If it wasn't for the people on this site I'm pretty sure he would not be here right now with everything they told me to do.