Tortoise Trust?

Southbound

Location (City and/or State)
Mortimer, Berkshire
Continuing the discussion https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-trust.6319/ re. Tortoise Trust

-EJ said:
My question is... what is a trust as it pertains to the TT? Is there a governing body?

No.

Is it regulated by the UK government?

LOL

Oogie said:
I would "assume" there is a governing body within TT.

No.

-EJ said:
I've been of the opinion that it is a fantastic business. A brilliant form and use of marketing.

I am of the same opinion. Nothing wrong with that, of course… except for misleading use of the word “Trust”.

I'm curious as to where the money goes. If it's a business I would think it should be labled as such.

I agree. Nor do I have any doubt as to where the money goes.

Laura said:
what will happen to your torts when you go..

Maybe https://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/1.asp can help?

-EJ said:
The TT is not non profit.

No indeed!

Honestly... I'm questioning the validity of the 'organization'. I see a great deal of PR with not much backing for that PR.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...rtoises/577653-tts-new-rehoming-policy-5.html #50

Egyptiandan said:
Egyptiandan

Just found that they don't have to disclose their finances unless they receive 500,000 pounds or more in a year. Seems like it's going to be hard to find out their finances as they don't have to tell the public.

Just sounds like an easy way to not pay taxes on monies received.

Yup it keeps getting better and better

Danny

Well said!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm curious why you're bringing this subject up? Andy Highfield is a member here, however he hasn't posted in a very long time. We, as a group, don't talk much about TT, except for the occasional question about the seminar they offer. It seems to be a non-issue here with our members.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I believe the 'model' of the Tortoise Trust as first created and today are different entities in form and function. If you believe some laws are being broken, then please be more specific.

Back some 30 years or more ago, 1,000 of tortoises were brought into the UK as garden tortoises, released into a garden/yard, and replaced each spring when the old one had expired. I think that happens much less, mostly all founded on Andy's effort. I did not much care for him via the internet, but once I met Andy and saw who he is, his internet personality became less weird to me.

His on-line personality is still weird to me, but balanced with the live person I met, it's good. He has contributed to many in-situ and ex-situ conservation efforts. He has championed better captive care for pets, published quite a bit both scientific peer reviewed and hobby level documents.

Perhaps you could bring credibility to your arguments with your accomplishments and expertise.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Why you bring up a subject posted 11 years ago ? you just joined forum last week and this is your first post . That’s some serious internet archeology ??

Southbound

Mortimer, Berkshire
I believe the 'model' of the Tortoise Trust as first created and today are different entities in form and function.
Yes, completely. Jill Martin was alive when it started. As soon as she was gone, anything that took up 'real' time was stopped: the helpline, the hard-copy magazine, the sanctuary. Someone (not naming names) was employed to get rid of the remaining tortoises as fast as possible, to anyone who could make a 'donation'.

Back some 30 years or more ago, 1,000 of tortoises were brought into the UK as garden tortoises, released into a garden/yard, and replaced each spring when the old one had expired. I think that happens much less, mostly all founded on Andy's effort.
So he would have you believe. The bulk imports of Mediterranean tortoises had been outlawed long before. That was when people started being interested in tortoises as more than throwaway items and the prices shot up... all good, and none of it due to Andy.

He has contributed to many in-situ and ex-situ conservation efforts. He has championed better captive care for pets,
No quarrel with any of that.

published quite a bit both scientific peer reviewed and hobby level documents.
Who are the scientific peers quoted as reviewers on the back cover of the Practical Encyclopedia? I know there have been several editions, each retaining the many errata, but my copy praises it to the skies without actually naming anyone.

At issue on the locked thread was whether the word Trust is legally justified, and whether it is in any way regulated by a governing body. The short answer, of course, is no on both counts.