Tortoise Update (Pictures!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarok

5 Year Member
Just switched from Cypress Mulch to Eco Earth.
DSCN4521.jpg

DSCN4520.jpg

DSCN4518.jpg

My new Savannah Monitor and Enclosure.
DSCN4519.jpg

DSCN4516.jpg

DSCN4515.jpg

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Looks great! Now you can have fun with plants.

yarok

5 Year Member
I think im going to need some more eco earth so I can put some in the Monitors enclosure too. I think the lamp would probably kill any plants I put in there but please correct me if im wrong. I would love to put some live plants in there.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
yarok said:
I think im going to need some more eco earth so I can put some in the Monitors enclosure too. I think the lamp would probably kill any plants I put in there but please correct me if im wrong. I would love to put some live plants in there.

Weeds should survive almost anything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yarok, your animals need humid hides. The younger they are the more critical it is. Like these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humid-Hide-Boxes-II#axzz1qUIIHq6o

The benefits are limitless.

Also, if you pack the coir down with your hand, it will be a lot less messy. For plants, there are whole lists of ones that are not toxic. If you leave them in their pots, they should do fine. Just don't put them directly under the light. Many plants will do fine in an indoor enclosure.

yarok

5 Year Member
Thank you

Tom said:
Yarok, your animals need humid hides. The younger they are the more critical it is. Like these:

Also, if you pack the coir down with your hand, it will be a lot less messy. For plants, there are whole lists of ones that are not toxic. If you leave them in their pots, they should do fine. Just don't put them directly under the light. Many plants will do fine in an indoor enclosure.

Thank you. I packed down the coir with my hand and it is way better. I was going to by some spagnum moss to put in his log for humididty. Although after looking at your humid hide it doesnt seem like that would do the trick. If possible i would like to keep the natural look. Is there a way i could make a humid hide that looks natural? or should i just use the plastic boxes?

Tom said:

Im going to make him a humid hide. Does the humid hide need 2 entrances or can it just be 1? If it needs 2 do they both have to be on the same side? Should i drill small holes around for ventilation or would that defeat the purpose?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Your baby is going to grow too big for that log in a very short time where as the pyramiding that may result from lack of humidity he will carry his entire life. I had a log like that and when I first discovered how critical humidity is to babies. I screwed a sponge into the inside top of the log to hold moisture (a suggestion from a forum member). I also closed one end of the log with moss to hold even more moisture. About two months later I was relieved that the new growth was coming in smooth. That was over a year ago and I have made several humid hides as my tortoise has gone from 3 inches to over 9 inches long. The new growth has all been smooth, but the pyramiding from his earlier days still remains.

yarok

5 Year Member
When I got mine he had very slight pyramiding. I hope im doing things right and that there wont be any noticeable pyramiding when he grows larger. He has a Humid hide now but i need to buy spagnum moss for it. I changed the substrate to coir which holds humidity better. He has a powersun 100w MVB and I feed him zoomed tortoise food mixed with spring mix, which I sprinkle with calcium once a week. I soak him every other day for 20 minutes. I think im doing everything I can to prevent pyramiding.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Plastic hides work about the best. You can get a black one, might fit in better. You might be able to build up substrate around it.
Real plants are best, but fake silk plants (from Craft stores, etc.) are fine too and do help hold moisture in. Hard to kill these :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like your on the right path. If you want, you can buy seeds and grow it right in the coir. It works pretty good.

yarok

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Sounds like your on the right path. If you want, you can buy seeds and grow it right in the coir. It works pretty good.

I think im gonna try that

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good source for seeds; a good Sulcata mix and individual seeds as well. You can use bird seed to.

Might be nice to use a Spider plant in a pot submerged in the substrate. As long as its not directly under the light, it should be fine. If you get a slightly larger one, they are a nice place to hide under!

Status
Not open for further replies.