Tortoise Friendly Insecticide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecialK

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Schenectady NY
Does one exist? i have my russian tortoise in a bunch of eco earth and some cypress chips and theres quite a few gnats flying around. they probably got to the tortoise habitat from the houseplants i have but id like to get rid of them. Any ideas?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Ive been trying for weeks to get rid of mine. I put out containers of vinegar under UVB lights and catch and kill hundreds but they breed faster than I can kill them. i heard a few drops of lemongrass oil in a squirt bottle set to mist will kill them but I can't find any locally....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use Orange Guard. It is safe around children and animals. It doesn't really do what the label says its supposed to do, but the bugs don't like it and they go away.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No....Have you tried to place some peel bugs / nigh crawlers and other good bugs to help offset the one bug population?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Tortoise Friendly Insecticide?

Yvonne G said:
I use Orange Guard. It is safe around children and animals. It doesn't really do what the label says its supposed to do, but the bugs don't like it and they go away.

Can you elaborate on how you use this product? I'm currently using hair spray to battle certain bugs..lol

Sent from my TFOapp

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I used to take all the sustrate out (cocnut coir mostly) and bake it in the oven in shallow baking pans. The wife was at work, of course. Took care of the bug problem (gnats) and really didn't take very long. It gave me a chance to do a thorourgh cleaning of the enclosure and make any repairs or modifications I had been wanting to make.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Will said:
ascott said:
No....Have you tried to place some peel bugs / nigh crawlers and other good bugs to help offset the one bug population?

pill bugs? What do pill bugs do to other bugs?

Will

I think they ate the larvae of the knats. Worked for me in my indoor enclosures.

Sent from my TFOapp

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Peel bugs eat the tiny bugs and their babies (hey not too scientific I know..lol) they also help to clean up the left over food and extrement....the more diversity of beneficial bugs you can establish the better.....__

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Orange Guard comes in a spray bottle. I take all the "furniture" out of the habitat and stir up the substrate then smooth it out. Then I spray the top layer of substrate, then add about a half inch of new, clean substrate and put the "furniture" back.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Yvonne G said:
Orange Guard comes in a spray bottle. I take all the "furniture" out of the habitat and stir up the substrate then smooth it out. Then I spray the top layer of substrate, then add about a half inch of new, clean substrate and put the "furniture" back.

Do you only use it inside?

Can this be sprayed in the tortoise pens outside? You mention is keeps bugs away but you don't think it kills them?
Again, trying to know more cuz I battle some whoppers in my neck of the woods...

Sent from my TFOapp

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I use the pill bugs in all my enclosures, I drop a handful in and let them go to town. They eat the eggs of mites and gnats, as well as the larvae, plus they have gills so they tend to stay under things where it is damp and dark and out of sight. Plus they help clean up after the tort once the other bugs are under control / gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.