Gnats

Status
Not open for further replies.

dds7155

5 Year Member
Does anyone else have trouble with nats ? i only have a young leopard tortoise ,I use cypress mulch as the substrate.and i keep it clean , but i have these little nats i think flying around ,its not many but it;s like one fly you cant get rid of , any idea and does any one else have this problem ? would changing the substrate help? Thanks !

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
RE: nats

yup, once in a while I will see a pesky little nat or two....mostly when the weather is warmer...I think that the couple that came in with the outside dirt have finally died off as I have not seen any for while....I suppose you can change the substrate to see if that helps, they do not hurt anything and they do eventually die off...if that is any comfort....LOL :D

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA

I usually see them when I get home from work and they are around the food area

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida

yes. here though, i see more fruit flies than nats, but the yellow fly strips work great.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

eeeekkkkk, yellow fly strips!!!!!! LOL I do not know why, but those strip things FREAK ME OUT....all I can imagine is a bunch of bugs stuck to it, not dead....just suffering, staring at each other dying....okay, I apologize...lost my mind for a moment....:(

LilRoshi

5 Year Member
Cleveland, OH

my question is how often do you clean your substate. i have the coco substrate and my sulcata's poo's blend in with it so well i never know if i'm cleaning it out properly. and i too, get lil pesky nats here and there. any advice for a noob? :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I have a ton of those, I mean a ton. They are even dead on my windowsill. I think the fly strip sounds good. They even sit on the CHE or lay eggs there. I tried the dish soap and vinegar but it didn't work for me.

dds7155

5 Year Member
i found out where the gnats was coming from, new house plants , overwatered, momof4 ,place lids or containers of wine around where you see them ,they drawn to the fermentation of the wine , or you can use apple cider, it really works

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I take small cups and fill about half way with a little wine. Then I cover it with saran wrap, poke some small holes in it and fasten with a rubberband. The gnats go in the little holes after the wine, get intoxicated and drown ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.