Tortoise vision issues?

peanut20

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I have read that generally tortoises have good vision, but from early on (when we got him at 22grams), I noticed that our hermann had some trouble aiming. It would take him multiple tries to get his mouth on the food.

He will open and close his mouth mid air multiple times before actually reaching his food.

He is now just over 40 grams, and it still takes him multiple tries. I was wondering if this was normal or if it may relate to any vision issues. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

In terms of lighting, we first used the ReptiSun 5.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent bulb for approx. 4 weeks, but recently switched to ReptiSun T5-HO 14". Is there a recommended distance from the ground to hang the 14" T5-HO?

Last edited:

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Compact, high-intensity bulbs have been implicated in corneal injuries, but it is also possible for an animal to have a congenital (pre-hatching developmental) defect.

In addition to helping your pet 'catch' food more easily, never put this wee one in the position of having to compete with another tort - commit yourself to keeping him as a singleton.

Be especially careful to consider what types of cage 'furniture' you use (shallow water plate, not a deep dish), and he might do best when things are not moved around too much.

peanut20

Pennsylvania
Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm a bit heartbroken... I figured it was a hatchling issue and I was hoping he would out grow it.

Is there anything I can do it help his vision improve, or prevent it from worsening?

Would the eye ointment help - my understanding is that it's a antibiotic and if it's congenital I'm assuming it's not an infection - but trying to think of anything I can do for the little guy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes it takes them some time to get their eyes/vision coordinated. He will outgrow it, unless it's caused by the light. In that case you need to get rid of that light.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm a bit heartbroken... I figured it was a hatchling issue and I was hoping he would out grow it.

Is there anything I can do it help his vision improve, or prevent it from worsening?

Would the eye ointment help - my understanding is that it's a antibiotic and if it's congenital I'm assuming it's not an infection - but trying to think of anything I can do for the little guy.

If there is no infection, an antibiotic could cause an imbalance in the eye and surrounding skin that may lead to an infection.

You might try a plain artificial tears ointment (it is over the counter, but ask the pharmacist). If the uvb coil caused some corneal damage, this might help him replace the corneal cells more easily.

Otherwise it's just a thing for him to manage with your help. If it is congenital, then he never knew the world in any other way. It's just his life. Don't feel sorry for him, just be mindful of his limitation in this way.

peanut20

Pennsylvania
@Yvonne G @ZenHerper Thank you both. That's very helpful.

I'm going to try reducing the T5-HO light for awhile and hope for some warm afternoons (I'm in the NE and it's still pretty cold) to get more sunlight.

peanut20

Pennsylvania
Does your Reptisun 14" HO T5 have a 5.0 or a 10.0 tube?
At between 12 to 15" a 5.0 should be great.
But if its a 10.0, that will be too close still.
That mini compact might've caused a vision problem that still hadn't healed.
I purchased the Zoo Med Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood - 14" which came with a 5.0 UVB tube.
It's a bit closer right now so I'll adjust it to 12"-15". Thank you.

Denver, Colorado
I have read that generally tortoises have good vision, but from early on (when we got him at 22grams), I noticed that our hermann had some trouble aiming. It would take him multiple tries to get his mouth on the food.

He will open and close his mouth mid air multiple times before actually reaching his food.

He is now just over 40 grams, and it still takes him multiple tries. I was wondering if this was normal or if it may relate to any vision issues. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

In terms of lighting, we first used the ReptiSun 5.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent bulb for approx. 4 weeks, but recently switched to ReptiSun T5-HO 14". Is there a recommended distance from the ground to hang the 14" T5-HO?
My tort (russian) has a similar problem, and what I've found is that hand feeding and piling the food up high helps. Louie tends to have an easier time with hand feeding, but either works. If you do hand feed, make sure that your fingers aren't too close, because when Louie can't see well then he'll accidentally bite me.
Louie's vision problems are a bit more permanent, though (he was NOT taken care of when he was younger). I hope your tort's vision gets better and he stays happy!

peanut20

Pennsylvania
My tort (russian) has a similar problem, and what I've found is that hand feeding and piling the food up high helps. Louie tends to have an easier time with hand feeding, but either works. If you do hand feed, make sure that your fingers aren't too close, because when Louie can't see well then he'll accidentally bite me.
Louie's vision problems are a bit more permanent, though (he was NOT taken care of when he was younger). I hope your tort's vision gets better and he stays happy!
Thanks for sharing the hand feeding tips. So glad to know that Louie has a caring owner now!