Tortoise walked away outside-- any ideas to attract him back?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
A couple of months ago 2 of my box turtles escaped their pond and I was heartbroken. But I did all the suggested things...and I quietly looked daily. one morning I sat down on the cinder block surrounding the pond and just stared off and after about 20 minutes one of those large tufts of inedible grasses waved and juggled in the NO WIND!...yep...1 box turtle...alone hummm a lesson maybe...they obviously did not stay together, they don't like other turtles...3 more days nada.On the 4th day, at first sunrise I went down the steps into a tortoise pen where the torts were out basking...yep I bettcha that tiny tortoise over there is a species Terrapin ornata ornata....lol and it was. Do not ever give up cuz they get hungry and go back to their own territory...

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
A couple of months ago 2 of my box turtles escaped their pond and I was heartbroken. But I did all the suggested things...and I quietly looked daily. one morning I sat down on the cinder block surrounding the pond and just stared off and after about 20 minutes one of those large tufts of inedible grasses waved and juggled in the NO WIND!...yep...1 box turtle...alone hummm a lesson maybe...they obviously did not stay together, they don't like other turtles...3 more days nada.On the 4th day, at first sunrise I went down the steps into a tortoise pen where the torts were out basking...yep I bettcha that tiny tortoise over there is a species Terrapin ornata ornata....lol and it was. Do not ever give up cuz they get hungry and go back to their own territory...
Thank you for sharing that story Maggie, that is wonderful to picture you sitting there and seeing the grass move with a box turtle in there! I have been much more present and mindful of looking around outside. Hopefully I too will see some grass move and find our lost tort! 😀

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My Russian is hard to spot even in his outdoor enclosure. I once thought somehow someway he had gotten out which is almost impossible. I searched frantically and started feeling around in the larger plants He was wedged sideways in a large plantain plant. The dufess likes to air out his plastron now and then 😁🐢

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
My Russian is hard to spot even in his outdoor enclosure. I once thought somehow someway he had gotten out which is almost impossible. I searched frantically and started feeling around in the larger plants He was wedged sideways in a large plantain plant. The dufess likes to air out his plastron now and then 😁🐢
been there, done that!

MaNaAk

Southend
😍