Tortoise winter diet

Frogg.Queen

Location (City and/or State)
Oahu, HI
Hello tortoise forum! :) earlier this year, I moved from the humid tropics of Oahu, Hawaii, to the cold chilly forests of northern Idaho. I took my 3 redfoot tortoises with me.
Since it’s quite cold in Idaho, especially at this time of year, I’ve already built them a winter enclosure that is well insulated and keeps them warm in the frosty nights, installed with heat and UVB lamps... while their habitat is stable now, I’ve had some trouble figuring out what I can feed my tortoises, as the growing season for vegetation is closing to an end for this year. In the meanwhile, I’ve been feeding them any remaining garden weeds and gourds I can find, but when winter finally hits I won’t be able to give them this lush supply of food...
What food/diet can I give to my tortoises for the upcoming winter? Are there any particular foods I should give them that can prepare their bodies for the change in temperature? I’d like to know soon so I can try to prepare on their dietary needs asap! [emoji1334]‍♀️

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use any dark, leafy greens in the produce section of the grocery store, plus any edible weeds I can find outside. I think tortoisesupply.com has a nice selection of tortoise-worthy seeds you can buy and plant. For that matter, go online and shop for seeds. Since you'll be growing them indoors, it doesn't matter if you don't follow the "when to plant" instructions. Squash leaves, broad leaf plants and grasses - buy all kinds of seeds and grow them indoors for your tortoises. But, in the meantime, get some endive, escarole, turnip and mustard greens, dandelion greens, etc. If your store doesn't sell these, ask if they can order it for you.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello tortoise forum! :) earlier this year, I moved from the humid tropics of Oahu, Hawaii, to the cold chilly forests of northern Idaho. I took my 3 redfoot tortoises with me.
Since it’s quite cold in Idaho, especially at this time of year, I’ve already built them a winter enclosure that is well insulated and keeps them warm in the frosty nights, installed with heat and UVB lamps... while their habitat is stable now, I’ve had some trouble figuring out what I can feed my tortoises, as the growing season for vegetation is closing to an end for this year. In the meanwhile, I’ve been feeding them any remaining garden weeds and gourds I can find, but when winter finally hits I won’t be able to give them this lush supply of food...
What food/diet can I give to my tortoises for the upcoming winter? Are there any particular foods I should give them that can prepare their bodies for the change in temperature? I’d like to know soon so I can try to prepare on their dietary needs asap! [emoji1334]‍♀️
I live in mid Ohio which is in the growing zone5. You live in the northern part of Idaho which is also predominantly zone5. Southern Idaho is colder. While you are planting inside backup groceries for your tortoises, you may still also be able to pick fresh homegrown weeds. I can still pick fresh dandelion greens etc...in the middle of winter. Just shake the snow off. The weeds are usually next to the homes foundation or how about your tortoise enclosure?

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
I use any dark, leafy greens in the produce section of the grocery store, plus any edible weeds I can find outside. I think tortoisesupply.com has a nice selection of tortoise-worthy seeds you can buy and plant. For that matter, go online and shop for seeds. Since you'll be growing them indoors, it doesn't matter if you don't follow the "when to plant" instructions. Squash leaves, broad leaf plants and grasses - buy all kinds of seeds and grow them indoors for your tortoises. But, in the meantime, get some endive, escarole, turnip and mustard greens, dandelion greens, etc. If your store doesn't sell these, ask if they can order it for you.

Aah I see! Ill have to find the time to set up an indoor gardening area and get some seeds online. Also, what supermarket would you recommend for finding these dark leafy greens? [emoji1334]‍♀️

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
I live in mid Ohio which is in the growing zone5. You live in the northern part of Idaho which is also predominantly zone5. Southern Idaho is colder. While you are planting inside backup groceries for your tortoises, you may still also be able to pick fresh homegrown weeds. I can still pick fresh dandelion greens etc...in the middle of winter. Just shake the snow off. The weeds are usually next to the homes foundation or how about your tortoise enclosure?

Ah, I see. I didn’t realize you could find some weeds in the snow, very interesting. I’ll have to find some weeded areas that can supply me with a few weeds in the cold then ^^ There’s been a lot of frost in my area though, so hopefully the frost hasn’t choked the life out of any salvageable weeds. Thank you for this advice [emoji1334]‍♀️

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Look for narrow leaf plantain. That seems to grow on through winter. Dandelion do too in some areas.
Turn to fruits and mushrooms aswell as grocery greens.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ah, I see. I didn’t realize you could find some weeds in the snow, very interesting. I’ll have to find some weeded areas that can supply me with a few weeds in the cold then ^^ There’s been a lot of frost in my area though, so hopefully the frost hasn’t choked the life out of any salvageable weeds. Thank you for this advice [emoji1334]‍♀️
Look around the the outer perimeter of your house and warm tortoise enclosure. The plants or weeds might get frosty but a lot of herbs and even greens and weeds will continue to grow even in the winter. Kale will but most people won't feed that to a tortoise. Possibly collard greens and I know dandelion greens will. I like dark green dense and leafy within the edible plant list. Move some weeds. Hopefully, the previous owners didn't spray or treat. Best wishes.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your not planning to keep your Redfoots outside during winter are you? You shouldn't have to worry about preparing them for a change in temperature, they should be kept inside and the temperature maintained the same thru winter. Here's some of the things I buy at the store for my Redfoot kale, turnip greens, endive, escarole, dandelion greens (you can purchase these at some markets), romaine, papaya, mango, banana, strawberry squash, mushrooms, pineapple, kiwi, and im sure there's more I just don't remember right now. Variety is the key. Hope this helps.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Nevermind didn't read the whole post, I just seen you said you built you said a heated enclosure for them.

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
Your not planning to keep your Redfoots outside during winter are you? You shouldn't have to worry about preparing them for a change in temperature, they should be kept inside and the temperature maintained the same thru winter. Here's some of the things I buy at the store for my Redfoot kale, turnip greens, endive, escarole, dandelion greens (you can purchase these at some markets), romaine, papaya, mango, banana, strawberry squash, mushrooms, pineapple, kiwi, and im sure there's more I just don't remember right now. Variety is the key. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the tip! And yes dw I’d never leave them out in the cold :,,)