Tortoise won't eat calcium

domagoj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Croatia
My tort avoids commercial calcium powders like a plague. I've tried several different kinds and none of them worked for me. When I found out about the egg shells I decided to give it a try. He loves it. Just make sure to wash the eggs if you live outside the US. You don't want your tort getting salmonella now do you?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've tried very small amounts on even his most favorite foods, yet he won't have any of it. I will try giving him foods high in calcium. What foods would you suggest?

I grate up a tiny bit of cucumber, leaving it in a little pile. Then I place a pinch of calcium (a pinch means just what you can grab between your thumb and index finger, a tiny bit) onto the pile. I take a fork and mash the calcium into the cucumber until it's all wet. Then take the fork and mix up the cucumber with the other foods you're feeding that day. It helps if the 'other foods' are cut up into small pieces.

Calcium-rich foods:

Kale
turnip greens
arugula
water cress
mustard greens
rapini
beet greens
pak choi
okra
cress
endive
butternut squash
broccoli
sweet potatoes
green lettuce

DO NOT PICK ONE OR TWO OF THESE ITEMS AND FEED EXCLUSIVELY!! Vary them.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Sunlight only gives UVB. No added D3 in sunlight.

If your UVB bulb is working properly then your tort is able to make the D3 it needs.

Some of the more omnivorous species, particularly the forest species, take up dietary D3 (I found a scientific paper on it) but the grassland species seem to use entirely sunlight as there is little D3 in their diet and they have not evolved the means to process it that way.

Sunlight is by far the best way to provide the UVB that tortoises use to make the D3 they need.

Your UVB light can be an adequate source, if it is of the right type and installed correctly, and monitored to be replaced as the UVB production diminishes.

All tortoises can get some D3 from their diets. If you look at the wild studies of stomach contents, there is almost always an inclusion of some insects and carrion. Except for the highly omnivorous species, they simply cannot get enough this way. So without sunlight and UVB, most all tortoises will go deficient. Even the forest species (omnivores) synthesize D3 in their skin. They utilize reflected UVB in semi-shade and their thinner skin to absorb. Notice how the more the species of tortoise is a "sun basker", the thicker the skin. The more the forest dweller - the thinner the skin.

Almost all animals (except mice and some bats) synthesize D3 from sunlight, but most also can get it from diet, but that varies depending upon the diet. Even cats and dogs - who eat almost exclusively animal protein, also use the sun extensively for D3 production. In fact there is an epidemic of osteoporosis, especially in women over 50. They feel one of the main contributors is the continual use of effective sun block!!!

SO - OP...
Be sure you get adequate UVB to your tortoise. A dietary supplement of D3 can help ensure D3 is available, but you can overdose dietary D3 so don't overdo it. Many of us use Mazuri, or Rep Cal Tortoise diet as it contains the proper amounts without fear of overdose of D3.

Last edited:

tortoiselover2158

I take the egg shells turn them up side down and let them drain on a paper plate for 2-3 days at room temp . Then I run the shells through a coffee grinder til they are powder. Cause I feel in the wild torts find wild bird egg shells laying on the ground . But I don't want my torts to get cut by a sharp egg shell or to get stuck in the throat .

Do you put the egg shell on top of his food or in a separate bowl or area?