Tortoises enclosure lighting

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey everyone!!

I hope you all had an amazing Christmas.

I’m in the process of setting up a new tortoise table as thanks to the care sheet I’ve found out that mine just isn’t suitable, thank goodness I found you all now as I’ve only had the little one a month!

I have everything ready, to order, just a few questions.

1) From your guys experience, will just one 75W solar basking light sufficiently heat a 150cm table?

2) will it be safe to fit my UV tube to the side of the table? (Height is 22cm)

Just want to get some opinions before I place the order

shoutout to @Tom for supporting me, and putting up with my million questions. We’ll get this tortoise the home he deserves!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone!!

I hope you all had an amazing Christmas.

I’m in the process of setting up a new tortoise table as thanks to the care sheet I’ve found out that mine just isn’t suitable, thank goodness I found you all now as I’ve only had the little one a month!

I have everything ready, to order, just a few questions.

1) From your guys experience, will just one 75W solar basking light sufficiently heat a 150cm table?

2) will it be safe to fit my UV tube to the side of the table? (Height is 22cm)

Just want to get some opinions before I place the order

shoutout to @Tom for supporting me, and putting up with my million questions. We’ll get this tortoise the home he deserves!
Hi James!

1. Only your thermometer can answer this question.A 75 watt should be suitable for basking, but whether or not it heats up the whole enclosure sufficiently depends on several factors like room temp and how open it is. Let your thermometer be your guide.

2. UV tubes must be mounted from directly over head. Side mounts can cause eye damage in some cases.

Your questions are welcome. I guarantee other people have the same questions and are learning from the answers you receive.

James9811

Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi James!

1. Only your thermometer can answer this question.A 75 watt should be suitable for basking, but whether or not it heats up the whole enclosure sufficiently depends on several factors like room temp and how open it is. Let your thermometer be your guide.

2. UV tubes must be mounted from directly over head. Side mounts can cause eye damage in some cases.

Your questions are welcome. I guarantee other people have the same questions and are learning from the answers you receive.
Brill, I’ll just have to imagine up and have built some sort of overhead contraption to hold the UV strip securely… who knows, thinking head on!