Tortoises of all Species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
I was just granted access to use more land and have made a sectioned off area I hope to fill with rescues. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time but just haven't had the recourses to do so.

I am looking to take in any species of tortoise that needs a home and a fresh start. My main reasons behind doing this are to give tortoises a proper home and fresh start, to be able to rehabilitate tortoises and adopt them out to PROPER homes, and to educate those that aren't familiar with tortoises the proper care techniques required to raise a healthy tort. My fellow Arizonans can attest to how many poorly cared for tortoises that are popping up on places like craigslist. I'm hoping to decrease that number even if its just a little.

If you're in AZ and have a tortoise that needs a new home or know someone that plans on just letting a tortoise go in the dessert (another common problem) please let me know and I'd be more than happy to help!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
This is good to know and will keep you in mind if I see anything. But unfortunately they always want money for them. They think they should get top dollar. It gets very frustrating. . Good luck...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good for you Austin. I hope to follow in your footsteps someday soon.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Very good! I hope people are able to let you have their torts instead of trying to get lots if money for the ones that aren't in good shape! I wish I had the space to do this!

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
1st adoption fell through today. After sending countless pictures of my enclosures and listing my care techniques the owner refused to part with the tort because I wanted to meet in a neutral location. Am I crazy for not wanting people to know where I live? I've just heard too many horror stories... Anyhow I really hope this tortoise finds a home. I fear that's not likely to happen now. :/ Thoughts? Am I just paranoid?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I generally allow someone who wants to give up a turtle/tortoise to come here and see my place. They understand that I'm going to adopt out their animal, but allowing them to see how I care for MY animals eases their mind about the type/kind of home I will find for THEIR animal.

I just hope for the best. My way of figuring is that the guy who comes in the middle of the night to steal your tortoises isn't the ones who come with tortoises to give you or the ones who come to adopt a tortoise. Its the guy repairing the roof next door, or the guy your pest control man told about your tortoises and where you live.

I have a "beware of dog" sign on my gate, which is always closed, and the property is totally fenced. I just hope I never get hit.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
And Yvonne, if Misty is anything like her soul mate Ava, I'm sure you would be alerted to any foreign sounds outside.
Just last week, Ava got very mad at my best neighbor and was barking her fool head off at him at the fence line. This in turn caused my neighbor to feel the same way towards her,(though he didn't bark!).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good luck. I would reconsider and do as Yvonne does. Then give them a call back and maybe explain the reason you didn't want to meet at your place. If they cared about their tort, they may understand. Hoping the best in your adventure. BTW, if you have the means to pay, there is a large Redfoot in the Chicago CL that needs a home. It has been there a while now and shell doesn't look the best and the enclosure is way too small. Maybe you can check it out and see what you can work out with the person.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Probably should have posted, this past weekend I took in my first adoption! Very excited about it! Hope more are to come! :)

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
LuckysGirl007 said:
Yea!!! What did you get? Is it in good shape?

Sulcata, still too young to tell the sex. Its in decent shape, some pyramiding but not horrible for its size/age, the owner said it wondered into their yard and they didn't have the means to care for it. I'm very glad I could give it a home!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
You would think that your website alone would have satisfied them and they would understand your concern.
What your doing is awesome.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't think you're paranoid. The fear is real out there. Couldn't u get a male friend, or someone to be there with you when someone wants to see how u will care for their tort?

theEastCoastTurtle

5 Year Member
I don't think you are paranoid at all. I bought armed eared slider from someone who said they will deliver it and she asked me for my address and I told her I would meet her at the local groceries store.

Red eared slider. By the way, the red foot I bought from you over thanksgiving is doing great. She eats daily runs around in her habitat cilbs on stuff low to the ground. She is great.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
theEastCoastTurtle said:
I don't think you are paranoid at all. I bought armed eared slider from someone who said they will deliver it and she asked me for my address and I told her I would meet her at the local groceries store.

Red eared slider. By the way, the red foot I bought from you over thanksgiving is doing great. She eats daily runs around in her habitat cilbs on stuff low to the ground. She is great.

Good I'm very glad to hear it!! :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
There is someone on the forum here who just posted a free sulcata, 1 year old, and he'd be willing to ship to you at his expense. Respond asap if you want it.

Arizona Sulcata said:
I was just granted access to use more land and have made a sectioned off area I hope to fill with rescues. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time but just haven't had the recourses to do so.

I am looking to take in any species of tortoise that needs a home and a fresh start. My main reasons behind doing this are to give tortoises a proper home and fresh start, to be able to rehabilitate tortoises and adopt them out to PROPER homes, and to educate those that aren't familiar with tortoises the proper care techniques required to raise a healthy tort. My fellow Arizonans can attest to how many poorly cared for tortoises that are popping up on places like craigslist. I'm hoping to decrease that number even if its just a little.

If you're in AZ and have a tortoise that needs a new home or know someone that plans on just letting a tortoise go in the dessert (another common problem) please let me know and I'd be more than happy to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.