Tortoises of all Species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
sibi said:
There is someone on the forum here who just posted a free sulcata, 1 year old, and he'd be willing to ship to you at his expense. Respond asap if you want it.

Just PM'd thank you! :)

Thalatte

5 Year Member
It's awesome what your doing. But I do have one criticism...you haven't started a tread with pics of your rescues.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Thalatte said:
It's awesome what your doing. But I do have one criticism...you haven't started a tread with pics of your rescues.

That would be because I only have one so far... Haha and I would classify it as an adoption more than a rescue. Tortoise was in decent shape the owner just didn't have the means to care for it. Still an empty rescue enclosure unfortunately! :/ If there weren't any tortoise in need that'd be great but unfortunately I know that's not the case.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Excuses excuses... You could talk to the Phoenix Herpetological society and say if they end up taking in more torts than they can house that you would be able to take them.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Thalatte said:
Excuses excuses... You could talk to the Phoenix Herpetological society and say if they end up taking in more torts than they can house that you would be able to take them.

I've emailed them several times with no response unfortunately. Even filled out an application and sent it in with no response. Don't know why? :/

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Can you make it to a couple if their meetings? When I was involved with Oregon's Herpetological society, faces where very good. Networking. Just a thought.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Cowboy_Ken said:
Can you make it to a couple if their meetings? When I was involved with Oregon's Herpetological society, faces where very good. Networking. Just a thought.

I've never thought of this, didn't even know they had meetings. I'll have to take a deeper look at their website!

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I did meet the owner type person of the society and he seemed a bit strange but nice enough (got 4 hatchling boxies from them). He said he had a herd of over 300 adult sulcatas so I imagine space is an issue for them. Before he is willing to sign them over he would probably want to get to know you and see your space maybe to make sure your a good home and not some maniac collector.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Took in my first DT this past weekend. Belonged to a lady's father who passed away and she didn't know what to do with him. Glad he found a home!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Good work on the adoptions. My opinion on letting people over kinda depends on a few things.... If you had animals that you thought were a target for theft, generally speaking, I wouldn't allow anyone over to "see what you have." It's pretty hard to prevent a determined criminal from figuring out where you live (public land records, shipping history from any number of companies a thief might be friends with, etc), but that doesn't mean you should invite it over.... You don't need people to see what you have and where it is so that they can make quick work packing up your animals when you're out of town. They don't need to see where your dog does or doesn't have access to, stuff like that. If all I had was tortoises I got for free with the intent to adopt out for free, it's probably not a big deal, but I'm pretty paranoid. Our new place we aren't even putting the land in my name to keep it off public records. If they're determined to see how you're caring for them, send them photos of the enclosures you're planning on keeping tortoises in. Show them tortoises you have in conditions that they can expect their tortoises to be housed in. We pretty much only allow over personal friends and family. I've had requests from people "in the industry" for a look at our stuff while they were in town or whatever, and I've just had to politely say no. Some of them I know well and others I don't. Just not worth the risk to me, and nothing to gain for me to allow random people over.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Just an update I've taken in 5 DT's over the past 2 weeks and they are all loving their new home. This is my first experience with Deserts and they are already becoming a favorite. I've separated the males and females as I do not want them to breed. Two of the males are especially aggressive, more than I've ever seen even with my Sulcatas. Is this normal for Deserts? Hoping they'll settle down soon and get a pecking order established or I'll be separating them as well.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
All male desert torts need to be in their own enclosure. They are extremely aggressive towards other males. No such thing as pecking orders with them.
We need pictures.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Glad to hear you're helping out the natives! Around here there are so many gopher tortoises brought in as rehab cases, but not that many places that take them. And the places they do go are usually too small of facilities. Many gopher tortoises taken in are sick and it spreads through captive populations really quick. Have you noticed any URTD in your DT's? I know mycoplasmas are a problem with them too

Thalatte

5 Year Member
What is URTD?

Never mind. I found it. Bacteria infection in the nasal passages. Often presents as a runny nose.
Happily I have never had this issue.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Nope no URTD. The Deserts are in great shape. I have to say I was surprised how active they are. I've always been told and was under the impression that DT's aren't very outgoing and are timid around people. Not these guys.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
They can be at first and can take awhile to get used to people but it depends on the individual. For instance Dozer took almost 6years to get used to people but now when she sees a person she charges as fast as she can (she is slower than a snail) towards them looking for food and if you pick her up she just goes limp and looks at you. Bane on the other hand is my newest rescue and as long as you don't touch his face you can mess with his legs and neck, but if you pick him up he will hiss and pee.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
IMG_20130215_154659_929.jpg

This is Lola our newest rescue. She was found abandoned in the Red Wood Forest. She is loving the sunshine!

Status
Not open for further replies.