Torts spot on head seems to seep

Cvd5

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi everyone, I’ve just noticed this area on top of my torts head by her eye that seems to be almost cracked compared to the other side it also seems to be seeping something does anyone know what this is and how or if I should go about treating it? I’ve used a cotton bud with water and it seems better should I just keep doing that? I appreciate any help you can give

As a side note I’m on iOS so please let me know if the image doesn’t come through and I can try other formats or a link :)
3B9757DD-5BC0-4C13-877F-6ED06D0EFA4C.jpeg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I’ve just noticed this area on top of my torts head by her eye that seems to be almost cracked compared to the other side it also seems to be seeping something does anyone know what this is and how or if I should go about treating it? I’ve used a cotton bud with water and it seems better should I just keep doing that? I appreciate any help you can give

As a side note I’m on iOS so please let me know if the image doesn’t come through and I can try other formats or a link :)
View attachment 342600
Hello and welcome from Devon. Your photo came out fine. Tortoises do seem to get themselves bashed about a bit when climbing (and falling on their heads, etc) If it isn't bleeding, I would just go on gently wiping it with warm water for now. It may well dry up and heal over on it's own. Or it might be that new skin is growing underneath, in which case a bit will fall off eventually.
Best wishes, Angie (formerly from London too )

Cvd5

London
Hello and welcome from Devon. Your photo came out fine. Tortoises do seem to get themselves bashed about a bit when climbing (and falling on their heads, etc) If it isn't bleeding, I would just go on gently wiping it with warm water for now. It may well dry up and heal over on it's own. Or it might be that new skin is growing underneath, in which case a bit will fall off eventually.
Best wishes, Angie (formerly from London too )
Hi Angie thank you for taking the time to reply. That’s good to hear I’ll keep at it and keep an eye on her thank you for putting my mind at ease :)

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Hi and welcome,
What species/age is he?
Do you soak him at all?

Cvd5

London
Hi and welcome,
What species/age is he?
Do you soak him at all?
Hi there! She’s a horsefield tort around 5 years old. I soak her twice a week, she also has a large shallow dish I clean and refill daily with filtered water which she occasionally sits in as well it’s under the heat bulb so it stays warm for her. she used to try to climb the edges of the table before so I added bits to make 1 corner 2 (if that makes sense) is it possible she hit her head trying to scale these maybe?

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Hi there! She’s a horsefield tort around 5 years old. I soak her twice a week, she also has a large shallow dish I clean and refill daily with filtered water which she occasionally sits in as well it’s under the heat bulb so it stays warm for her. she used to try to climb the edges of the table before so I added bits to make 1 corner 2 (if that makes sense) is it possible she hit her head trying to scale these maybe?
Quite possibly- Russians are great climbers and love digging and need a lot of space or they will try to escape. At 5 years old I think 4 x 8 feet would be the minimum recommended size of enclosure.
This is the up to date caresheet which will help you check your temps, humidity, substrate and diet etc.

If you post pics of his enclosure you'll get good feedback to make sure your tort is as happy and healthy as possible.

Cvd5

London
Quite possibly- Russians are great climbers and love digging and need a lot of space or they will try to escape. At 5 years old I think 4 x 8 feet would be the minimum recommended size of enclosure.
This is the up to date caresheet which will help you check your temps, humidity, substrate and diet etc.

If you post pics of his enclosure you'll get good feedback to make sure your tort is as happy and healthy as possible.
Thank you! That’s really helpful I’ll measure the enclosure tonight the only thing is as it’s a table (open top) enclosure how would I go about keeping the humidity stable or should I get a new one with a top to it?

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
You coul
Thank you! That’s really helpful I’ll measure the enclosure tonight the only thing is as it’s a table (open top) enclosure how would I go about keeping the humidity stable or should I get a new one with a top to it?
Many people use something like a mini portable greenhouse to place over the table, that they can also hang lamps from.
e.g.
1648728906436.pngor a clear plastic version.

Some use plexiglass/ Perspex cover, but that wouldn't be high enough for the lamps so you would have to cut holes for the lamps and make sure they didn't melt it.
If you have a look in the enclosures threads you'll see lots of ideas.

Cvd5

London
You coul

Many people use something like a mini portable greenhouse to place over the table, that they can also hang lamps from.
e.g.
View attachment 342601or a clear plastic version.

Some use plexiglass/ Perspex cover, but that wouldn't be high enough for the lamps so you would have to cut holes for the lamps and make sure they didn't melt it.
If you have a look in the enclosures threads you'll see lots of ideas.
I definitely will do. thanks for all this, I’ll start checking all the points on that care sheet tonight an make sure it’s all up to scratch and look into this topper for the table want to make her as comfortable and happy as possible