Help! I can't find my tortoise!

MarieAllen127

Location (City and/or State)
Milton, Ontario
Hey everyone, I need urgent help! My 1 year old Hermann Tortoise has gone missing this afternoon. My mom left him in our backyard and was sitting close by, after 15 minutes or so he just disappeared. It's been 4 hours since he was missing. My mom and I have looked everywhere and we don't know what to do. We left some treats around so we could lure him in but I still can't find him. I'm really trying to do whatever I can but I am so scared because our backyard is 1 acre so he could be anywhere. I'm living in Ontario, Canada and it is September right now, will he freeze to death?! I'm really stressed, really any help or advice would be awesome!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Start looking for him first thing in the morning. Sun coming up. It will heat up and hopefully he will come out of hiding. Someone might have better answers. Good luck keep us posted.

Anastasia 22

Texas
He could dig a hole and hide in it... That's what my tortoise does.
Be careful with walking around so you wouldn't step on your baby.
Hopefully you will find him soon!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I hope you find your little one. I have a Russian. Everyday that I put him in his escape proof outdoor enclosure I'm sweating. He's really hard to spot. I have to play he hides and I seek. I know he can't escape but its terrifying. He hides underneath and even sideways in dandelion greens, plantain, etc etc etc. I usually find him under a plant in the afternoon in the direction the sun is going down.. But I also think that a tortoise will hole up in a spot in the evening that the morning sun will shine on them. So don't only use your eyes. Use your hands to feel through the plants. Good luck 🤞

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Is your backyard fenced? Could he go beyond it? Or would he have to be somewhere in that one fenced acre?