Help - Can't Find My tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusyGalInCal

5 Year Member
I'm just sick. ;-(

I've had "Charlie" for about 13 years. He is free-roaming in my yard and house and I hibernate him every winter in the house/garage. In early September I realized I hadn't seen him for a while. He has his favorite places to burrow and rest and I started checking. I've pretty much gone over my large yard in detail but I can't find him. I'm afraid he burrowed and then covered himself up. The odds that he escaped my yard are slim.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A TORTOISE SNIFFING DOG THAT COULD HELP FIND CHARLIE?? I'm just sick to my stomach that he might be out there stuck somewhere and will go through the coastal winter and not survive. There are lots of places to hide, under bushes etc...but I just can't find him.:(

charlie11.jpg

Attachments

• charlie.jpg
    charlie.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I am so sorry! I am sending you positive thoughts!

Have you gotten down on his level and looked around? I would go back to his favorite spots and dig.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Hi there! Sorry to hear about your missign tortoise :( Have you tried checking Craigslist, local shelters, and posting signs/Craigslist ads for any sign of your tortoise?

In my area (nowhere near California) there is in fact a small business that uses dogs to track down lost pets. It is expensive, but worth it for a found pet :) - Maybe your area has something like this?

BusyGalInCal

5 Year Member
Yes, on my hands and knees. Looking around bushes, under bushes. Do they close off their burrow? I just feel that he is "stuck" somewhere.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Sometimes when you continue to check yourself you repeat the same patterns, etc. and continue to miss him. Try and get another person to get on there hands and knees and complete a very good search, the new person will have a different pattern and ways of looking that you may not. We sometimes can not find all of our smaller one and usually when the other one of us look they find the ones the other person missed without complications or issues!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if it warms up you still might see him peek out.. or you can try watering areas you think he may be and bring him up.. then keep him really warm..

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
I know how you feel, I had lost bowser for nearly a whole month in September. I thought the same thing and still do not think he got out of my yard by herself but nevertheless you should post some fliers with his picture on it. That's what I did and I got her back because they recognized it as the tortoise their friend had found in the street a few weeks back. I know it seems unlikely but post on Craigslist and put fliers on all the posts in a 2 block area. Hope you get him back.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
BusyGalInCal said:
In early September I realized I hadn't seen him for a while.

How long is "for a while"?

Hopefully someone will lend you their tortoise sniffing dog and you'll get him back.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
What kind of tortoise is it? On the bright side of things, Charlie might have felt like he was going to hibernate himself early and find a nice spot to snuggle down for while. If that is the case, (as long as it a tortoise that does normally hibernate) he should be fine for the winter months. If he doesn't appear during winter, you might find him come out in Spring! Keep us updated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, you lost him. Can't imagine how that feels. Keep checking on really warm days, he just might peak out. Good luck and keep us posted. I bet if you don't find him before spring, he'll pop up then:)

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hi there, don't lose hope! I lost track of my 30 lb. sulcata. Had no idea where he was, no signs that he dug out, looked EVERYWHERE many times. Dug up his entire burrow, thinking he was injured or sick and didn't want to come out. No sign of him anywhere. Then, 9 days later he just showed up at his normal place at his normal time like nothing happened. He was a little muddy and seemed slightly confused, but otherwise fine. It was a total mystery. I blame it on the aliens.

Put the word out on CL and signs in the neighborhood just in case he got out...

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I had my box turtle get loose once and found him a yr later!!! I was soo relieved!

Status
Not open for further replies.