HELP!! Lost tortoise

georgeandbessy

Hi my Hermann was wondering around downstairs and now I can't find him. He was just meant to be in the kitchen bit one of the doors was left open and could be anywhere downstairs. He definitely couldn't have got outside but I really can't find him. The house is quite big so he literally could be anywhere :-( :-/

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Check under couches and do not recline!!! Also look under desks/dressers etc. I hope you find him!

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
The good news is that he's inside. He's probably nice and cozy under some piece of furniture. Look in all the dark, low nooks, such as under counters, furniture, clothes, pillows. He'll show up.

georgeandbessy

The good news is that he's inside. He's probably nice and cozy under some piece of furniture. Look in all the dark, low nooks, such as under counters, furniture, clothes, pillows. He'll show up.
Cheers for the advice :)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I hope you find him soon. Don't close any doors until you do. Once I lost Charlie in our 116 acre ranch; 3 days later he showed up at the back door.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and just one more reason why tortoises need to stay in their designated enclosures.

I hope you find him before he has an accident. Try looking where there's heat, like by the refrigerator, etc.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Honestly I would make it as dark as you can and set up basking light stations before the sun rises.
make your house 65/70 . He will come for the lights to warm up in the morning. And if they are the only source of light they should be easy to spot. I'd put one in every room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi my Hermann was wondering around downstairs and now I can't find him. He was just meant to be in the kitchen bit one of the doors was left open and could be anywhere downstairs. He definitely couldn't have got outside but I really can't find him. The house is quite big so he literally could be anywhere :-( :-/

If he is not on the floor, he has likely crawled up into a piece of furniture like a couch or recliner. I learned that lesson from hunting for escaped monitor lizards.

Yvonne is right. This is just one reason why many of us keep telling people not to turn tortoises loose in the house.

georgeandbessy

If he is not on the floor, he has likely crawled up into a piece of furniture like a couch or recliner. I learned that lesson from hunting for escaped monitor lizards.

Yvonne is right. This is just one reason why many of us keep telling people not to turn tortoises loose in the house.
Yay I found him behind the tele stand thanks everyone :)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I remember as a kid I wanted to leave a tort out, but not let him have free range of the house. So I made a harness for him and tied him to a big radio (late 70's, I was probably 8). I left the room, came back, and this little chaco pulled the big radio across the room and out the door. Had to be 10 times his weight.

georgeandbessy

I remember as a kid I wanted to leave a tort out, but not let him have free range of the house. So I made a harness for him and tied him to a big radio (late 70's, I was probably 8). I left the room, came back, and this little chaco pulled the big radio across the room and out the door. Had to be 10 times his weight.
Yes George can push open doors and he is only 7 inches :)