Can't Find Your Tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Have you ever turned your back for just a few seconds only to turn around and the tortoise you have been diligently watching suddenly is no longer there? I was reading a post a while ago and someone mentioned that when they put their tortoise out for some sun they attach their key finder to him:

key-finder-gadget2.jpg

This sounds like a pretty darned good idea to me. Naturally, this would only work within a short distance, but if you don't have a fenced yard and you want your indoor tortoise to get some sun, place the key fob on the tortoise and wrap him around with some sort of velcro or paper tape.

If you try it, let me know how it works.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow that is a great idea. I need that way back when my leopard was little. Man can they blend in.
I just wonder if there is something out that is smaller that could be glued on like Zamric dog tag is attached to Walking Rock.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
For my Russians we considered getting a metal detector and attaching a small piece of metal to each of them.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
um tory doesn't get lost but I was wondering wont it hurt there shell I thought you weren't suppose to put anything on it ?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
um tory doesn't get lost but I was wondering wont it hurt there shell I thought you weren't suppose to put anything on it ?
There is some debate. I didn't like the idea of putting something on the shell. Yvonne suggested a Velcro strap or paper tape, so that wouldn't be putting anything on the shell.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
There is some debate. I didn't like the idea of putting something on the shell. Yvonne suggested a Velcro strap or paper tape, so that wouldn't be putting anything on the shell.

oh socould I put a keyring on her shell with a metal detector?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
oh socould I put a keyring on her shell with a metal detector?
The metal detector would be used to find the metal attached to the tortoise. Like they use on the beach to find stuff. I am not sure I understand the question.