TOXICITY QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKLC

5 Year Member
I would bet that they're mildly toxic, as I know not all reptiles are ok with toad toxins. I think cane toads have killed plenty of crocodiles and snakes in australia.

I found my pancake tortoise snuggling up to a southern toad under his rock the other day, it was cute but I hope there was no parasite or disease exchange

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
I can't tell you right off, unfortunately..

But I can agree with EKLC. I see tons of toads of all sizes in the yard. I have to keep a close eye on the little toads, whom I'd guess are under a year old..My Toby could chomp one down, with ease, if she wanted too..And that wouldn't be good, I'd imagine.

I do know that they, alike many other toads/frogs excrete a toxin from their skin, which can burn the eyes. So I'm going to guess it would be, at the very least, unpleasant to eat?

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I'm not sure either. I know nightly toad toxicities come into the hospital here, of course they're toads vs dogs & cats so still no help! >:[

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Yes and no......Some species can handle it, others cannot......

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Hard to say...These are different families of amphibians we're talking about here. Bufo sp toads contain their toxins in those huge glands behind their eyes. In this case of the Cuban treefrog, this is a toxic mucus that coats the skin. Are they the same? Is one form more toxic than the other?

Also, tortoises (and turtles) have been known to routinely much on plants that we know are toxic (to humans anyway) and not have any noticeable side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.