1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Trading Goodies?

Discussion in 'Bartering and Trades' started by littleginsu, Feb 7, 2014.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Jlant85

Jlant85 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    California
    AHHHHHHHHHHH! YOU KNOW! rofl.... ^_^v
  2. redterra

redterra New Member

some varieties of prickly pear aren't as hardy as others, I live in zone 5 and some types can't survive our cold winters. I found some hardy variety growing wild here and replanted it. Seemed to like sandy, low-nutrient soil.
  3. Tortmomma2

Tortmomma2 Member 5 Year Member

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/99298/
    This post has some good ideas and tips in regards to regrowing cactus pads.
  4. stojanovski92113

stojanovski92113 Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

That's good to know, thanks!
  5. Amanda81

Amanda81 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Northeast Tennessee
    With the baby's off the spider plant, wrap the baby in lightly moisten paper towel, put in sandwich bag, close and mail, that's how my ain't sent me a couple.
  6. pfara

pfara Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Maryland
    Thanks, Amanda. I figured that stuff out a little bit ago. But now there's the problem of me not having a car.. :p
  7. Amanda81

Northeast Tennessee
    Haha, I didn't think to look at time of post. I do that a lot. I'm always behind. Lol. As for the car issue, I have no suggestions.
  8. Amanda81

Northeast Tennessee
    And this is probably well solved to but I will say it anyhow.
    With the prickly pear, I literally cut a good size piece off the mother plant, left it sitting (actually forgot about it) for 2 weeks on patio table. When I did remember it I planted it, poured half a gallon of water on it just to pack dirt good and walked away. That stuff went crazy. It got out of hand, I attempted to get rid of it, dug it all up or so I thought, it grew back, mowed it over again and again, that just spread it. I finally went got gasoline and set the stuff on fire. Nope, still have it. Course I'm glad now cause I have a purpose for it now but from my experience, neglect and abuse it, it will thrive. I actually started some other type this spring, they call it bunny ears or something around that? It doesn't have the big needles, it has like a fur all over it. All those lite fur things stick all over in you and you can't see to get them out your skin, their kinda a hassle to handle. Did same thing to it, it took off just like the other.
    AmRoKo likes this.
  9. lismar79

lismar79 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Ohio USA
    In the spring I will have a ton of mullberry saplings to trade for cactus ;) or if any one lives in northern you can ohio come dig some nice sized starts up now :)
    Amberlamothe23 and Amanda81 like this.
  10. Prairie Mom

Prairie Mom Well-Known Member

Hey @littleginsu :) I love your idea and was just talking about it in the off topic chit chat (I tagged you to let you know). I'm hoping to set up my winter gardening grow lights in a week or so. I'm hoping to grow some young pumpkin and squash plants and some of Mavis's favorite flowers in my house. When I have big enough seedlings, do you want to be my guinea pig and let me try shipping them to you to see if they survive the packaging and shipping?
  11. Evy

Evy Active Member 5 Year Member

San Diego, CA
    Is anyway you can ship it? I have cactus that I can send to you as well. I'm in SD, California

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))
  12. lismar79

Ohio USA
    Yep, I can ship. I just found a whole other area in my yard that I did not even know about! Come spring, get a hold of me :)
  13. Prairie Mom

Well, I've been feeling pretty spoiled by several kind people that I've met on this forum. A while ago we were talking about grape and mulberry leaves.http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/nutritional-value-for-grape-and-mulberry-leaves.103122/ My little sulcata arrived with soft spots in her shell that have firmed up nicely, but I am always on the look out for calcium power foods. @Jacqui shipped us a nice bag of fresh Mulberry leaves. Mavis LOVES them. She's never had them before and went to town on them! The bag will be used up quickly and this tortoise Mom couldn't be happier or more grateful! Thanks @Jacqui !!!
    mavis eating mulberry.jpg
  14. Prairie Mom

We also recently received the cutest package from @lismar79 . She was kind enough to send us some Mulberry seedlings from her trees. The seedlings survived the shipping process perfectly. She also included some dried Mulberry leaves which I plan to save and will happily sprinkle over Mavis's food this winter :) Lisa also included a letter and photos from her tortoises to our Mavis. -My kids went absolutely bonkers over the short tortoise letter and photos!!! Who knew the mail could be so cool!?!?! Thanks so much, @lismar79 !!! lismar package.jpg
  15. Tyanna

Tyanna Well-Known Member

Wisconsin
    I wish I had something I could trade, I live in WI around the city so I don't have much to give until Summer comes around and I grow veggies, etc! :)
    Prairie Mom likes this.
  16. Tyanna

Tyanna Well-Known Member

Wisconsin
    How darn cute! I want one! ;)

Love this trading idea.
    Prairie Mom likes this.
  17. Tyanna

Tyanna Well-Known Member

Wisconsin
    I really want to find some Hibiscus clippings since I can't find any organically grown!
    Prairie Mom likes this.
  18. phebe121

phebe121 Well-Known Member

Id love to trade or get stuff i dont have that would be awesome
    Prairie Mom likes this.
  19. Prairie Mom

I understand, Tyanna. I've already had several snow storms this year. I like to grow a lot of vegetables too. My tortoise loves pumpkin and squash leaves. I bet you could easily trade those with people when the summer rolls around:) I've been experimenting more and more with indoor gardening, because I grow a lot of veg from seed. I'm about to start growing variety of grasses and edible flowers under my grow lights. I've also dug up dandelions and have them growing in pots:) We saved the pumpkin seeds from our Jack o lantern and will be growing mini free pumpkin seedlings to feed to my tort, because she likes the leaves so much. If I get a sizeable crop going, and plants are big enough at around the same time, I will totally hook you up Tyanna :D
    Tyanna likes this.
  20. lismar79

Ohio USA
    Try them from seeds- Rose of sharons grow anywhere and are harder than heck to kill. Plus you can transplant outside next year into your tort area since the grow well in the colder climates - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5ZZOW8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
    Prairie Mom and Tyanna like this.