• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Trading Goodies?

Marie Crowder

I am unsure if this is the correct place to post this, so if it is not, I apologize in advance.

Do y'all have like turtle/tortoise care-package trading?

For instance, I live in the southwest, and prickly pears grow wild in my backyard, but moss and mushrooms don't.. whereas, someone in a more humid, forest-y area has access to moss but not prickly pears. So, you could have like a list/group of people to send little treats to for their turtle/tortoise?

Just asking.
Prickly pear is on my babies feeding list (Western Ornate Box Turtle), but I can't find them anywhere in town. I would be interested in purchasing a plant, if legal and possible for their outdoor habitat next year.

littleginsu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
Prickly pear is on my babies feeding list (Western Ornate Box Turtle), but I can't find them anywhere in town. I would be interested in purchasing a plant, if legal and possible for their outdoor habitat next year.
Where do you live? I can't imagine it would be illegal in the States, but then again, I could be wrong.

I need to find someone or somewhere that sells dandelion plants. I have bought a ridiculous amount is sex 4 and can't get them to grow. :(

wellington

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can buy dandelion seeds, but I have never seen plants sold. However, if you have a polish produce market in your area or a whole foods, they carry them, at least in my area.

Prairie Mom

Where do you live? I can't imagine it would be illegal in the States, but then again, I could be wrong.

I need to find someone or somewhere that sells dandelion plants. I have bought a ridiculous amount is sex 4 and can't get them to grow. :(
@littleginsu I'm about to grow some for the first time under my grow lights. I just got the seeds and have no idea if my seeds are any good. If they work, I will send you some young dandelion plants:) Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I am growing some I pulled from the yard, they looked bad at first but bounced back real nice now. But until they get big enough to actually start using I have been buying organic ones from Krogers. It's a real good size bunch for like a dollar and half or so. If you have a Krogers you could check there. The wild ones are getting scarce here so I started buying the ones from Krogers and give half store bought ones and half wild ones just in case there was a slight difference or something.

G-stars

5 Year Member
So Cal
I wish I would have offered my opuntia spineless cactus on here before I threw a whole bunch away. Let me know if anyone wants some next time it overgrows. Pm me.

— Gus

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I wish I would have offered my opuntia spineless cactus on here before I threw a whole bunch away. Let me know if anyone wants some next time it overgrows. Pm me.

— Gus
I will totally take you up on that & send you saplings if I find more little mailable ones!

G-stars

5 Year Member
So Cal
I think it might still be in the green waste bucket. I'll check and salvage it if I can. Easy stuff to grow in California. I literally just throw it on the ground and it grows. Sometimes it just breaks off and falls on the floor then I go to remove it and it already has roots. The fruit is delicious too.

— Gus

phebe121

I think it might still be in the green waste bucket. I'll check and salvage it if I can. Easy stuff to grow in California. I literally just throw it on the ground and it grows. Sometimes it just breaks off and falls on the floor then I go to remove it and it already has roots. The fruit is delicious too.
Are you charging shipping

— Gus

Prairie Mom

Today, I received a nice envelope full of hundreds of healthy looking Rose of Sharon seeds from @phebe121. I'll start these seeds soon and also will be planting some weed and grass seeds for my tortoise to enjoy this winter.

I've started a garden chat thread http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/garden-chat-photos-for-torts-and-people.104546/ and invite all my fellow garden hobbits to post there.:)

This trading goodies thread has been so much fun! I still think @littleginsu is brilliant for coming up with this idea!
Thanks again for the seeds, Shannon!!!
Hugs,
Chrissy

G-stars

5 Year Member
So Cal
Today, I received a nice envelope full of hundreds of healthy looking Rose of Sharon seeds from @phebe121. I'll start these seeds soon and also will be planting some weed and grass seeds for my tortoise to enjoy this winter.

I've started a garden chat thread http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/garden-chat-photos-for-torts-and-people.104546/ and invite all my fellow garden hobbits to post there.:)

This trading goodies thread has been so much fun! I still think @littleginsu is brilliant for coming up with this idea!
Thanks again for the seeds, Shannon!!!
Hugs,
Chrissy
Just a bit of advice plant those seeds and leave them alone for about a year before you transplant them. I transplanted mine too soon and half didn't make it, I also left a couple where they sprouted and are twice as big as the ones I transplanted.

— Gus

Prairie Mom

Just a bit of advice plant those seeds and leave them alone for about a year before you transplant them. I transplanted mine too soon and half didn't make it, I also left a couple where they sprouted and are twice as big as the ones I transplanted.

— Gus
I have a question for you about this, Gus, and hope you don't mind if I send you a conversations shortly.