Training Sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have three Sulcatas. 3 Years, 6 years and 8 years. Has anyone ever been successful in training Sulcatas? Growing up, we had a neighbor that had a Calif. Desert Tortoise that was trained to walk out the open yard gate when it was opened, and it would walk around the whole block in the neighborhood on the sidewalk, and it would go right back into its yard.

We live on a cul-de-sac and I have attempted to train our 8 year old to walk around the cul-de-sac, and go back into the yard. I have used hibiscus flowers to entice him to follow me, but it is not really working. However, if I put him on the sidewalk, he turns and knows how to go back to his yard.

Any thoughts on how to teach a Tortoise?

David

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
aka2tal said:
I have three Sulcatas. 3 Years, 6 years and 8 years. Has anyone ever been successful in training Sulcatas? Growing up, we had a neighbor that had a Calif. Desert Tortoise that was trained to walk out the open yard gate when it was opened, and it would walk around the whole block in the neighborhood on the sidewalk, and it would go right back into its yard.
David

In the wild, tortoises do have territories. They go back to the same hiding place after they wander around their territory. However, unless your tortoise has lived in your territory its whole life, I wouldn't trust to chance that he would come back after finding an open gate. Once outside the gate, he is in unfamiliar territory. He might not know how to get back.

Yvonne

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
I can't imagine if this tortoise just up and decided one day to go after the neighbor's bushes. I mean how is that man going to stop him? I don't want to fight off 100lbs.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Someone out there has gotten a tortoise to follow them, how they do it? We have tried with flowers, but they are distracted with the grass in the yards.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
aka2tal said:
Ok, Before you everyone thinks i am crazy for mentioning this, watch the following link on YouTube. It can be done. This guy was able to get his to do exactly what we are attempting to do. Any Suggestions?
ing+Sulcata+Tortoise&total=8&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3&hl=en

You see a bit of a clip, then a new bit, then a new bit. They turn the camera off when they have to film the part where the guy nudges the tortoise with his foot to get him going in the right direction. You get a taste of it when they get to the gate of the park. You can see the guy give the tortoise a little nudge with his foot. I'm not saying it can't be done, or that this tortoise isn't following the guy, but I think if that guy just slowly walked off, the tortoise would NOT follow him. They have a mind of their own and go their own way. And who's to say they didn't film the tortoise walking the way the tortoise wanted to walk and the guy hurried up and got in front for the shot. I guess I'm just a natural born cynic.

Yvonne

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I thought of that, and you maybe right. Pretty cool though to train them to take a walk with you. Slow walk that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.