Transportation to/from vet

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Napa, Ca
Hey! I was just wondering what sort of container you guys use for transportation? We're going to go do a wellness exam soon and I just wanted to be prepared. He's still a little guy (81g), and we'll be traveling for about 45 mins each direction. Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just pack them in a cardboard box and cover them with shredded newspaper. Sometimes I even use a cat carrier.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
There will be pee. I use a plastic dish bin with a towel in it. If it's going to be cold add a hot water bottle and ask to refill it at the vet for your trip home. (But make sure it's not big enough to crush your tort)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use a cat carrier for my adult Redfoot torts lined with paper. Bring extra paper because they always poop on a car ride and you'll want to change the paper for the trip home.
The good news is that the vet will have a fresh poop sample.
I also place them either in the back of my truck or on the back floor of my car to avoid the A/C draft.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I use a plastic storage crate lined with newspaper to absorb the inevitable pee and poop output of the journey.

I agree with carrying spare paper to reline for the journey home!