Trees blocking UV light.

BreadIsPain

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
I have been preparing to get a russian tortoise for a few days now and im making sure everything is perfect. My backyard has giant trees blocking out most of the sun. Is it ok to put the enclosure under the trees, or do I need to find a sunny spot? Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been preparing to get a russian tortoise for a few days now and im making sure everything is perfect. My backyard has giant trees blocking out most of the sun. Is it ok to put the enclosure under the trees, or do I need to find a sunny spot? Thank you
You need and area with a combination of both. They mist have some shade, but without some sun, they can't warm up on a cool morning.

The area you describe seems ideal for a redfoot tortoise or an elongated tortoise.

BreadIsPain

Tampa, Florida
You need and area with a combination of both. They mist have some shade, but without some sun, they can't warm up on a cool morning.

The area you describe seems ideal for a redfoot tortoise or an elongated tortoise.

Are those tortoises easy to take care of? This is going to be my first ever reptile in general and I want it to live comfortable and healthy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are those tortoises easy to take care of? This is going to be my first ever reptile in general and I want it to live comfortable and healthy.
Both are very easy in your climate. Both are somewhat omnivorous too, so easy to feed. They get a little bigger than a Russian, but still a small, manageable size.