Trouble keeping humidity at right percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoseman441

5 Year Member
I keep the cage substrate pretty moist and it still only gets around 50-60 percent . Any suggestings ?

steven

5 Year Member
I agree with both, a lid will help significantly, and also having a water bowl helps a little and is good for them to drink also!

EKLC

5 Year Member
live plants help. Whats the humidity where your tort is actually hiding? you dont need the whole place to be a swamp. 50-60 isn't bad if he has some nice humid spots.

Moose

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
As a rookie I am asking the question: What is the ideal humidity range for an outdoor house / enclosure for an adult Sulcata? I keep the temperature between 60-80 range based upon the days temperature and time.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Moose said:
As a rookie I am asking the question: What is the ideal humidity range for an outdoor house / enclosure for an adult Sulcata? I keep the temperature between 60-80 range based upon the days temperature and time.

Humidity for adults isn't as important as the young ones because they drink water more than in the little ones case the absorb it. Just have a place where the adults can wallow and that is sufficient.

Moose

5 Year Member
Texas
Thank you Arizona... As a new father and owner of a Sulcata I find myself losing sleep over what others might think of little importance... Thanks again for your response and others that will follow in the future.

EKLC

5 Year Member
surface area to volume ratio probably plays a role too. small torts have a larger surface area relative to their volume, hence they dry out more easily. Keeping the humidity up decreases their water loss

bfmorris

5 Year Member
Just a word here, with hatchlings and small sizes I'd be concerned about potential eye infections in conditions where moisture is persistently trapped by impermeable enclosure lids. Years ago I experienced eye infection problems in overly moist conditions without a lid over the enclosures, even.

What works for me many years is a deep substrate of grass hay, at least three or four inches thick after compression. The tortoises burrow under this to escape the heat of the day and to sleep at night, in their own little micro hide area. Humidity ranges 30 to 40 percent up on top.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Arizona Sulcata said:
Moose said:

Humidity for adults isn't as important as the young ones because they drink water more than in the little ones case the absorb it. Just have a place where the adults can wallow and that is sufficient.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.