Trying to get our baby to eat

cochransrc

Location (City and/or State)
Parker, CO
I have a baby Hermann tortoise, that was born in August. He was doing great when we first got him (1 October) but now he stopped eating and isn’t moving around a lot. I went out of town and had my mom taking care of him and he still wasn’t getting better, so we decided he needed to go to a reptile vet. But now I feel like a vet is giving us information that differs from what our breeder/this forum suggested to keep him alive. Please help! Has anyone had any luck, keeping their baby alive when they stop eating? Any luck with tube feeding? I need some positive stories:)

The vet gave him a vitamin B shot, and started tube feeding him every couple of days along with a dewormer.

The breeder said this causes a lot of stress from the shot and tube feeding him, never ends up saving the little guys....

I cant Just sit back and watch him starve to death. And I don’t believe in hatchling failure syndrome...I know that there’s got to be a reason he’s not eating. There’s no other outward appearances that he is sick. His shell on the bottom of him, is a little soft but considering his age that should be normal. I’m debating if I should invest in a whole new set up for him and changing out the types of lights that were using maybe a new substrate inside of a plastic container...or would this stress him out more????

Currently we are using the mercury uva/uvb bulbs. Originally he had access to the whole set up, but we divided it in half and made it more “simple”

His temperatures are 85 and 95 in the hot spot. 80 in the cool area and at night, 70-80 (we just purchased him a heat lamp for night time because it used to dip to 68-70.

Substrate is coconut and top soil mixed.
We were feeding him dandelions and Spring mix and a couple times a week, softened commercial food. Along with succulents and calcium, multivitamins.

We have been keeping his lights on for 12-13 hours a day, so now I’m increase them to being on for 14 hours a day.
In The pictures below- I tried putting his food on a calcium block to attract him, there is a before picture (when he had full access to roam)

IMG_2588.jpgIMG_2587.jpgIMG_2535.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think your baby is warm enough. Shorter days and cooler nights tell tortoises to stop eating and get ready to brumate. So you've got to keep the light on for 14 hour days and make sure it doesn't get too cool at night. It would help if you figure out a way to cover the enclosure.

(Also, it looks like the lights are too high)

Last edited:

cochransrc

Parker, CO
I don't think your baby is warm enough. Shorter days and cooler nights tell tortoises to stop eating and get ready to brumate. So you've got to keep the light on for 14 hour days and make sure it doesn't get too cool at night. It would help if you figure out a way to cover the enclosure.

I cover it at night, but I don’t know how to cover it with the way the lights are. If I change his home into a plastic bin, maybe I can change out the lights to?? And cover it?

Ella’s Gigi

5 Year Member
Black Forest, Colorado
I covered part of mine with aluminum foil. It helps keep him warm and humid at night till I can figure out a way to properly cover his enclosure.

drew54

Indiana
Basking temps should be 95-100f. Aluminum foil is okay, but it doesn't hold humidity that well. It may raise it a bit but it won't be where you need it. I used it on my enclosure and I got more frustrated with the foil than it helped with anything. I have my hatchling in a 50 gal tub that I covered with a shower curtain. I tried to mimic @Yvonne pics of one of her enclosures tat she covered with a plastic curtain. Essentially it turns it into a little greenhouse. Works well with humidity and temps. My hatchling I got was had a little pyramiding and since she has been in an enclosed chamber her new growth is coming in smooth. Temps and humidity are easier to maintain.

cochransrc

Parker, CO
Basking temps should be 95-100f. Aluminum foil is okay, but it doesn't hold humidity that well. It may raise it a bit but it won't be where you need it. I used it on my enclosure and I got more frustrated with the foil than it helped with anything. I have my hatchling in a 50 gal tub that I covered with a shower curtain. I tried to mimic @Yvonne pics of one of her enclosures tat she covered with a plastic curtain. Essentially it turns it into a little greenhouse. Works well with humidity and temps. My hatchling I got was had a little pyramiding and since she has been in an enclosed chamber her new growth is coming in smooth. Temps and humidity are easier to maintain.

Okay, I will try that! Do the heat lamps melt the shower curtain? Just curious?

drew54

Indiana
Okay, I will try that! Do the heat lamps melt the shower curtain? Just curious?

This is my set up for now. It's not the best but it works.

IMG_0700.jpg

I place the curtain over the top of them. I use the clamps attach to the laps to hold the curtain up and over the enclosure. I'll post a pic with curtain when I get home tonight or tomorrow morning. But it will melt the plastic if it lays on the lamp, but as long as it's not touching the lamps it won't melt.

cochransrc

Parker, CO
This is my set up for now. It's not the best but it works.

View attachment 257291

I place the curtain over the top of them. I use the clamps attach to the laps to hold the curtain up and over the enclosure. I'll post a pic with curtain when I get home tonight or tomorrow morning. But it will melt the plastic if it lays on the lamp, but as long as it's not touching the lamps it won't melt.

I am going to try and imitate this...will keep you posted with pictures

drew54

Indiana
I am going to try and imitate this...will keep you posted with pictures

Here is what it looks like.
IMG_0985.jpgIMG_0986.jpgIMG_0987.jpg
I used a little plastic bowl and cut a square in the back so I could cover the thermostat so it wouldn't get wet from the build up of condensation. It's not pleasant to look at, but does the job.

cochransrc

Parker, CO
Update: I weighed the little guy and he is 3 grams lighter today!( he has gone from 18 (last Friday) and today he is 15 grams (Wednesday). Praying for a miracle tomorrow

cochransrc

Parker, CO
Unfortunately, our little guy passed on. We don’t want to get another one, until we figure out why and how to prevent another one from getting ill and dying.

drew54

Indiana
Unfortunately, our little guy passed on. We don’t want to get another one, until we figure out why and how to prevent another one from getting ill and dying.

Sometimes, they don't make it. I think I read that somewhere between 60-80% of hatchlings don't make it. That is with the traditional breeder care. I wish I could remember the breeder/company who did the report. Just go by the care sheets on this forum and get one from one of the reputable breeders on the forum. You can find the list in the forum topics.

I'm sorry for your loss and I know what that feels like, but don't get discouraged. There are a lot of people here to help.

SPILL

Illinois
I'm sorry for your loss and like Drew said don't get discouraged. If you do decide to get another baby in the future it may be easier if you look at one 6 months or older. Although it doesn't sound like much the difference between caring for a 2 month old versus 6 month old can be pretty significant.

cochransrc

Parker, CO
Thank you Drew & Spill, I thought we were getting a spring hatchling, so it was 6 months old, so I was surprised it was so young. Definitely would like an older one next time. But we are pretty nervous. I thought we were prepared last time...this time I will be going over those care sheets with a fine tooth comb. What is your favorite type of tortoise and why? Just curious!

SPILL

Illinois
As far as species goes I don't have a favorite, I like them all for different reasons. My favorite individual right now is one of our Pancakes. During the summer he'd follow my wife around the yard and if you dangle a leaf in front of their rock structure he'll come out and eat it out of your hand.

drew54

Indiana
Thank you Drew & Spill, I thought we were getting a spring hatchling, so it was 6 months old, so I was surprised it was so young. Definitely would like an older one next time. But we are pretty nervous. I thought we were prepared last time...this time I will be going over those care sheets with a fine tooth comb. What is your favorite type of tortoise and why? Just curious!

I just have a sulcata. Still a hatchling but she is very cute and fascinating to me. I do plan to get a Insta hatch next year of life permits. I'm wanting to get a leopard. As far as favorite species I don't have one. Each species has their own personality traits that like me many people find endearing.

Now, I can't just have one favorite. I do have some favourites though. I love the aldabra and Galapagos. To me they are very patient and wise so to speak. Just a good ol ancient feeling from them.

The sulcata and leopard are more childlike in their curiosity and behaviors.

The marginated seem to be the "fancy" bunch.

Redfoot/yellow foot/cherryhead all are I think a bit of a mix between sulcata and aldabra so more like a teen in my eyes.

The testudo species seem to be the more rough laborers.

But take all this with a grain of salt. Everyone sees each species differently especially if you have raised them. I'm a relatively new owner so I have a lot to experience. I've already experienced the worst, so I hope I can get my feel of all the good now.

Ask around the forum and you will be surprised the each tort is their own individual being with its own personality. This one reason I love this forum because i get to experience each species in some way through others stories, videos, and pics. I may not raise them but I do get to see a lot of character and personality traits with each specie.

My first tort SHELLETOR THE BONE EATER! or just bones for short was line a toddler. He made my heart smile. He would trot around his enclosure happy and very curious. He didn't mind me holding him or feeding him. He would rub his head against my finger I assume wanting me to rub it. He was absolutely a wonderful little spirit.

Nyx my second tort. She is more like a princess or a grumpy old lady I can't decide which. She has to have her food fluffed and misted before she eats it. If the food goes limp she won't touch it. It has to be fresh. She tolerates my presents as I'm more a slave than her owner. I think she owns me... She is kind of like the stuck up cat. You know the ones that only want to see you when it's time to eat, doesn't like to be messed with unless they decides, and lays around all day ordering you around as though they own the place?

What do I do? I suck it up, know my role, and pamper the little s*&!$. What else can you do you?

cochransrc

Parker, CO
I just have a sulcata. Still a hatchling but she is very cute and fascinating to me. I do plan to get a Insta hatch next year of life permits. I'm wanting to get a leopard. As far as favorite species I don't have one. Each species has their own personality traits that like me many people find endearing.

Now, I can't just have one favorite. I do have some favourites though. I love the aldabra and Galapagos. To me they are very patient and wise so to speak. Just a good ol ancient feeling from them.

The sulcata and leopard are more childlike in their curiosity and behaviors.

The marginated seem to be the "fancy" bunch.

Redfoot/yellow foot/cherryhead all are I think a bit of a mix between sulcata and aldabra so more like a teen in my eyes.

The testudo species seem to be the more rough laborers.

But take all this with a grain of salt. Everyone sees each species differently especially if you have raised them. I'm a relatively new owner so I have a lot to experience. I've already experienced the worst, so I hope I can get my feel of all the good now.

Ask around the forum and you will be surprised the each tort is their own individual being with its own personality. This one reason I love this forum because i get to experience each species in some way through others stories, videos, and pics. I may not raise them but I do get to see a lot of character and personality traits with each specie.

My first tort SHELLETOR THE BONE EATER! or just bones for short was line a toddler. He made my heart smile. He would trot around his enclosure happy and very curious. He didn't mind me holding him or feeding him. He would rub his head against my finger I assume wanting me to rub it. He was absolutely a wonderful little spirit.

Nyx my second tort. She is more like a princess or a grumpy old lady I can't decide which. She has to have her food fluffed and misted before she eats it. If the food goes limp she won't touch it. It has to be fresh. She tolerates my presents as I'm more a slave than her owner. I think she owns me... She is kind of like the stuck up cat. You know the ones that only want to see you when it's time to eat, doesn't like to be messed with unless they decides, and lays around all day ordering you around as though they own the place?

What do I do? I suck it up, know my role, and pamper the little s*&!$. What else can you do you?

Thank you for the great laugh! When I was doing research on the different kinds of torts, we picked the Hermanns because a general consensus from people was that they were the most active.
I cannot believe how entertaining they are! I would love a sulcata, but I’m thinking we would need a large backyard and in a warmer climate. It’s fun learning about all the different types that are out there and seeing people stories researching all the different types of tortoises.

drew54

Indiana
Thank you for the great laugh! When I was doing research on the different kinds of torts, we picked the Hermanns because a general consensus from people was that they were the most active.
I cannot believe how entertaining they are! I would love a sulcata, but I’m thinking we would need a large backyard and in a warmer climate. It’s fun learning about all the different types that are out there and seeing people stories researching all the different types of tortoises.

Remember the key to a happy tort is through spoiling them. Sullies are the most adaptable. Our winters here in Indiana are pretty rough with extremely low temps and the summers hot and humid. When the tort is of a large enough size to be housed outside full time just like any large tort it will need a warm outdoor enclosure. Just take part of someone else's yard and get a sully. [emoji16]