Trying to sex my Leos again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, CA
Hello,

Its been 2 years since I got my first Leo's. Both doing great! They are such wonderful creatures with great personalities. Couple years ago I've asked for the forum for help to sex these 2. At that time they were too young to tell accurately. So I want to give it one more shot at it. The order 3 pix is of tortoise A. Next 3 is of tortoise B.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367216414.074031.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367216427.705005.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367216446.236993.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367216459.821485.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367216474.998076.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367216486.301436.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would guess one of each. A being male, B being female. However, the tail seems little small for male. Does either one have a concave plastron? My leopard showed me he was a male at two years. He also had a slight concave plastron. I didn't really notice it until he flashed me and then I noticed the slight concaving.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I'm going with one of each. Top one is male - anal scutes way too narrow to lay an egg. Bottom one is female, wider scutes and shorter, stubbier tail.

Doug

10 Year Member!
Ontario, CA
Neither one of them showing any concave plastron. I was under the impression that they should have started to show concave plastron already.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Greg T said:
I'm going with one of each. Top one is male - anal scutes way too narrow to lay an egg. Bottom one is female, wider scutes and shorter, stubbier tail.

I couldn't tell a difference until after reading this, then looking back at the pics. good eye ;)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Doug said:
Neither one of them showing any concave plastron. I was under the impression that they should have started to show concave plastron already.

This is only one thing. My male does not have a concave plastron hardly at all, but one of my females does have a slightly concave one, so they are opposites. You can't tell for sure until they get bigger and they really do look alike until a little bit before maturity then the changes really seem show up during growth spurts. Best features to watch are the short stubby tail versus a tail with a longer anus length (for lack of a better term) and the width of the anal scutes. Females have wide almost oval shaped openings to allow the eggs to pass through.

Status
Not open for further replies.