Tucker's 5 months old!!!

Tort4u2love

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hey just wanted to do an update on my little guy. He's growing like a weed 111grams and 3inches. However, he looks to be pyramiding to me :( His temps are good 80 cool side, 107 basking, & humidity is 80-90%. Soaks daily for 30 min....What do u all think? Is it bad?

Attachments

• 1391912527023.jpg
    1391912527023.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 1391912550178.jpg
    1391912550178.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 132
  • 1391912563683.jpg
    1391912563683.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 1391912581807.jpg
    1391912581807.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 1391912624625.jpg
    1391912624625.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 129

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Very beautiful leopard . Very nice keeping on your part growing very smooth .

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Tort4u2love said:
Hey just wanted to do an update on my little guy. He's growing like a weed 111grams and 3inches. However, he looks to be pyramiding to me :( His temps are good 80 cool side, 107 basking, & humidity is 80-90%. Soaks daily for 30 min....What do u all think? Is it bad?

Whoops hit send on accident!
Well I meant to say:

Tucker is a Greg T baby right? From the same clutch as my Beans and Watson?

Growing like a weed!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Perfectly smooth growth, no. But it's not "bad" either. You just need a few tweaks.

I suggest you lower the basking temp from 107F to 97-100F. Humidity might be 80-90% in areas of the enclosure but it is less than that directly under the bulb. If your tort spends a lot of time basking, that could contribute to raised growth.
Do you have a humid hide? Does your tort spend much time there? Like Yvonne, I have a baby that loves to burrow in moist sphagnum moss. If your guy will spend more time in an area with higher humidity (buried in moss or in a humid hide) then that will help, too.

Tort4u2love

5 Year Member
Indiana
Team Gomberg said:
Perfectly smooth growth, no. But it's not "bad" either. You just need a few tweaks.

I suggest you lower the basking temp from 107F to 97-100F. Humidity might be 80-90% in areas of the enclosure but it is less than that directly under the bulb. If your tort spends a lot of time basking, that could contribute to raised growth.
Do you have a humid hide? Does your tort spend much time there? Like Yvonne, I have a baby that loves to burrow in moist sphagnum moss. If your guy will spend more time in an area with higher humidity (buried in moss or in a humid hide) then that will help, too.

Hi Team Goldberg, Yes I have a humid hide for him but he does not like going in there... I put him in and he leaves immediately :( He loves haning out in the bask of his enclosure under this big plant I have there...I will lower the basking area and check the rest of the enclosure for Humidity consistancy. He rarely is under the basking light (heat only; UVB is a strip light in the back) I will add a pic in a bit. I really am trying to grow my baby smooth and was discouraged to see pyramiding on his shell. :( I just want to make sure I can get it corrected to continue smooth growth. Thanks for the imput. :)

Tort4u2love said:
Team Gomberg said:

Hi Team Goldberg, Yes I have a humid hide for him but he does not like going in there... I put him in and he leaves immediately :( He loves haning out in the bask of his enclosure under this big plant I have there...I will lower the basking area and check the rest of the enclosure for Humidity consistancy. He rarely is under the basking light (heat only; UVB is a strip light in the back) I will add a pic in a bit. I really am trying to grow my baby smooth and was discouraged to see pyramiding on his shell. :( I just want to make sure I can get it corrected to continue smooth growth. Thanks for the imput. :)

Oh and yes Tucker is a Greg T baby!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
He's looking great. Glad to hear he is doing so well. The bumps are minimal, so a few tweaks now will help in the long run. Remember, they may look like huge bumps now when he is small, but as he grows, they smooth out in relation to size. You want to see smooth, even growth which is what you have. Severe pyramiding gives sharp jutting scutes and uneven growth. What you have is good, so continue your efforts and Tucker will stay a beautiful tort!

Tort4u2love

5 Year Member
Indiana
Thanks Greg! I feel much better ;) I cant wait til spring / summer when he can go outside for a bit. We've been buried in snow for 2 months now :(

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I agree that tucker is near perfect. Heather makes a good point of lowering the basking temps. There isn't reason for a young tortoise to ever need over 100degrees. I actually keep my basking temps in the low 90s .
You have a gorgeous leopard, be very proud!