Tuna

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Looks like he's really enjoying it.

But, before I asked, I checked out ur ref to "tuna" ....

• Opuntia is a genus in the cactus family, Cactaceae. The most common culinary species is the Indian fig opuntia. Most culinary uses of the term "prickly pear" refer to this species. Wikipedia
  • Scientific name: Opuntia
  • The prickly pear is also called tuna pear or tuna fig, cactus pear, Indian fig or Indian pear.harvesttotable.com

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

• Opuntia is a genus in the cactus family, Cactaceae. The most common culinary species is the Indian fig opuntia. Most culinary uses of the term "prickly pear" refer to this species. Wikipedia
  • The prickly pear is also called tuna pear or tuna fig, cactus pear, Indian fig or Indian pear.harvesttotable.com
Thanks for that. I was baffled when I seen the tuna part and it was prickly pear. Never heard or seen called that.

rearlpettway

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.
In the grocery stores in Houston, Texas they are labeled, "Tuna",

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cactus and cactus fruit is a common ingredient in Mexican dishes. Mexican grocery stores like "Tres Sierras" or "Vallarta" here call the pads "nopales" and the fruits "la tuna".