Turning room into enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaNGoomba

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

Koopa the Sulcata has outgrown his enclosure (of course) and I am turning a room in our heated garage into a new enclosure for the winter. It is 7'x7'. It has a cement floor that is painted with stuff made especially for garage floors. I am mostly curious about what to use for substrate. Would rubber mats covered in hay be sufficient or is there a way I can use coconut coir/sand mix without too much trouble?

Thanks!

M

Maggie Cummings

I would just use something easy to keep clean. The floor in Bob's shed is plywood. On one side of the room I have a pile of hay for eating and sleeping. I think having a substrate would make it harder to clean...

KoopaNGoomba

5 Year Member
Is plywood easy to clean? It already has a cement floor...is that okay for his feet?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would not house a tortoise on a cement floor (directly and exclusively)...perhaps you can build a false floor so that his body and feet will not be on cold/moisture wicking cement....just my opinion...:D

KoopaNGoomba

5 Year Member
I am thinking rubber stall mats now? They are an inch thick, easy to clean ,and would insulate him from the cold cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.