Turtle or tortoise?

Newtortoiseman

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I found this turtle or tortoise crawling on a sidewalk on a dry day at work and took it in it was covered in dry dirt and the same day I bought an enclosure and everything the pet store said I needed the only thing is they didn’t know what it was they said they never seen one like this before. So the question is does anyone know what breed this is and if it’s a turtle or tortoise?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here’s some info to read..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Here’s some info to read..

It needs to be put back to the wild.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I found this turtle or tortoise crawling on a sidewalk on a dry day at work and took it in it was covered in dry dirt and the same day I bought an enclosure and everything the pet store said I needed the only thing is they didn’t know what it was they said they never seen one like this before. So the question is does anyone know what breed this is and if it’s a turtle or tortoise?
That is most definitely a Box Turtle. Some states have laws against keeping them as pets. You might want to just release it, but be sure to put it back very near where you found it as they have definite home ranges and will not do well if moved out of their original home area, especially close to the fall of a year.

Newtortoiseman

Indiana
Wow thank you for everyone’s swift response I did the research you guys suggested and I will be releasing it back into the nearby woods where I found it. It must’ve got lost ending up in the front of a commercial building I just thought it came from the uncle bills that it was found nearby. Here in Indiana it is illegal to own them and I will release it back to where I found it thank you everyone for most likely saving this turtles life and keeping the box turtle population protected!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This BOXY was found in my back yard. There are no woods or fields nearby and I have a privacy fence.
He also seemed too large for a bird to have dropped. My only other guess is that a neighbor thought he was a REDFOOT tortoise and tossed him into the yard. However. Only 2 of my neighbors know I have tortoises and they knew nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This BOXY was found in my back yard. There are no woods or fields nearby and I have a privacy fence.
He also seemed too large for a bird to have dropped. My only other guess is that a neighbor thought he was a REDFOOT tortoise and tossed him into the yard. However. Only 2 of my neighbors know I have tortoises at all and they knew nothing.
Beautiful Florida Box Turtle. They are native to your area and can wander/live in surprisingly suburban areas.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
He also seemed too large for a bird to have dropped. My only other guess is that a neighbor thought he was a REDFOOT tortoise and tossed him into the yard. However. Only 2 of my neighbors know I have tortoises at all and they knew nothing.
looks a lot like a hybrid .... someones pet .......

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Is it legal to keep them there where you are in Florida?

KevtK

NY
The usual "rule" I now of if you see a turtle or tortoise on a sidewalk or road to to get it off the road in the direction that it was traveling. If it was heading toward a woody or weeded area I would go a few yards in before letting it go.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The usual "rule" I now of if you see a turtle or tortoise on a sidewalk or road to to get it off the road in the direction that it was traveling. If it was heading toward a woody or weeded area I would go a few yards in before letting it go.
Happy birthday

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
looks a lot like a hybrid .... someones pet .......
That's exactly what I was thinking. That turtle looks NOTHING like my Floridas. More like an eastern mixed with something.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That's exactly what I was thinking. That turtle looks NOTHING like my Floridas. More like an eastern mixed with something.

Eastern * 3-toed is my guess. Seen a few of those types of hybrids that look very similar to this one in shell pattern. Stunning animal.

Dawn'sTooToo

North Carolina
Wow thank you for everyone’s swift response I did the research you guys suggested and I will be releasing it back into the nearby woods where I found it. It must’ve got lost ending up in the front of a commercial building I just thought it came from the uncle bills that it was found nearby. Here in Indiana it is illegal to own them and I will release it back to where I found it thank you everyone for most likely saving this turtles life and keeping the box turtle population protected!!!
Thank you for helping him stay safe and then releasing back to the wild

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
He also seemed too large for a bird to have dropped. My only other guess is that a neighbor thought he was a REDFOOT tortoise and tossed him into the yard. However. Only 2 of my neighbors know I have tortoises and they knew nothing.

Look at that bright red color.....WOW.....I don't know breeds from hybrids but that is a STUD!

That is one Gorgeous George!