Turtle tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paradise
My two little girls are getting big! Looking to make a tank with a filter on the bottom for them to soak in. Any suggestions on how to separate the tank once I get it?

Attachments

• image-934574237.png
    image-934574237.png
    261.2 KB · Views: 72

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
katelyn0974 said:
My two little girls are getting big! Looking to make a tank with a filter on the bottom for them to soak in. Any suggestions on how to separate the tank once I get it?

Hi Katelyn. I'm not familiar with Box Turtles, so I'll give your message a bump to the top of the list.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It's probably glass silliconed in place. You could replicate it with thick plexiglass, maybe two pieces like an upside down V so the wider base keeps it from tipping. Since I saw that thread yesterday now I wanna do that too! But I built my tank myself and I really don't think it's watertight so ill have to wait till its time to upgrade it :-/

Oh, and your little girls are GORGEOUS!!! Love the beautiful pattern starting to show on their shells :)

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
diaboliqueturtle said:
It's probably glass silliconed in place. You could replicate it with thick plexiglass, maybe two pieces like an upside down V so the wider base keeps it from tipping. Since I saw that thread yesterday now I wanna do that too! But I built my tank myself and I really don't think it's watertight so ill have to wait till its time to upgrade it :-/

Oh, and your little girls are GORGEOUS!!! Love the beautiful pattern starting to show on their shells :)

Thank you! Definitely my next project.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think your best bet would be a removable water dish/pan. They can foul their water so quickly, I think it would just be easier to change it daily than try to filter such a small amount of water.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
The sky is the limit but what I would do personally is pick up an acrylic tank like this TANK and place a divider like has already been mentioned and have a pretty decent sized water are. For the ramp you could have a slanted piece of acrylic with pebbles siliconed on for traction in and out of the water.

For filtration, since you will definitely need it you could have what's known as an overflow design where you have a acrylic box on the bank of the tank that's equal to the level of the water in which the water spills into it and then drains into a seperate sump under the tank via a hole drilled behind the drain box (in the aqurium world they refer to it as a calfo I believe). It's hard to explain, look up overflow saltewater aquarium or calfo in Google to get a better idea of what i'm talking about. Anyways you would use a seperate smaller aquarium for a sump which would house both mechanical and biological filtration components, by the time the water made it's way back up to the turtle tank, it would be nice and clean.

Oh and you can use a glass tank as long as the glass isn't tempered, I recommended acrylic because it is super easy to drill but does scratch somewhat easily if the turtles rub up against it. If you drill glass you need the correct bit and you have to take your time.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
jtrux said:
The sky is the limit but what I would do personally is pick up an acrylic tank like this TANK and place a divider like has already been mentioned and have a pretty decent sized water are. For the ramp you could have a slanted piece of acrylic with pebbles siliconed on for traction in and out of the water.

For filtration, since you will definitely need it you could have what's known as an overflow design where you have a acrylic box on the bank of the tank that's equal to the level of the water in which the water spills into it and then drains into a seperate sump under the tank via a hole drilled behind the drain box (in the aqurium world they refer to it as a calfo I believe). It's hard to explain, look up overflow saltewater aquarium or calfo in Google to get a better idea of what i'm talking about. Anyways you would use a seperate smaller aquarium for a sump which would house both mechanical and biological filtration components, by the time the water made it's way back up to the turtle tank, it would be nice and clean.

Oh and you can use a glass tank as long as the glass isn't tempered, I recommended acrylic because it is super easy to drill but does scratch somewhat easily if the turtles rub up against it. If you drill glass you need the correct bit and you have to take your time.

Wow, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.