Turtles on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I was just curious about turtles/tortoises that get in the road. I'm feel like this time of year I'm constantly stopping to help them cross the road. I've been peed on a lot lol. A few weeks ago I stopped to help a RES but it had already been hit. The back half of its carapace had pieces missing and you could see its insides.(sorry if that is morbid) I moved it out of the road and under a tree in the shade near a stream. My question is was that the right thing to do? Should I have tried to humanely euthanize it? I don't think anything could have been saved but I couldn't just leave it in the rd under the sun or to be hit again. I understand if it seems like a minor injury a rehabber or vet is the best option, I'm talking about to far gone to save.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
That is always a rough one. I have moved a bird or two from busy, scary and not dignified places--to quiet, more wild like areas so that nature can do what it does....I have also taken a critter or two to places that handle the passing for the critter.....I do not think that there is ever a standard answer....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree that's a hard call. If it can be helped and you can do it or afford to take it to a vet, then that's what probably should be done and them released. If you can't do it or afford it, then moving it like you did and letting nature do its thing may be what you should do. You could also try seeing if there's a rescuer in your area that my be able to help.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Look online for a wildlife rehab place in your area. If there is one, and they are functioning properly, they can come pick up the hurt animal and decide whether or not rehab is possible

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The best thing to do when you see a turtle or tortoise in the road, if it is native to your area, is to move it across the road in the direction it was headed.

If it isn't native, you should pick it up and try to find a turtle/tortoise rescue and turn it in.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
I have never seen a turtle cross the road but I suppose I would stop to help it across. If it was hurt and could not be saved, you did your best by putting in a more peaceful space where it would not continue to be run over.

Status
Not open for further replies.