Turtles seem a lot easier than tortoises. Is it me or tortoise are much harder?

Kevin Tran

5 Year Member
So far I've had a Red Eared Slider and Pink Belly Side-neck turtle, while for tortoise I have a Russian and Leopard Tortoise. I've found that the turtles to be easier to raise. All I need to do is create a pool of water, buy a canister filter, and set up the heating bulbs. They eat the pellets I give them right off the bat. Clean up I just drain the water can call it a day
For tortoises I have to factor in humidity and feeding them feels like a game of roulette (picky eaters). It seems none of the commercial food is to their liking and I basically have to make a random salad each week.
Significant amount of people online say a tortoise is easier than a turtle. Is this misleading or is it me that is doing something wrong?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Once tortoises are adults I think they are easier. As hatchlings, when set up correctly, started correctly, and fed correctly, they will eat just about anything you give them. Totally correct hatchlings can be hard to find. If done right though, I don't think they are that hard. Turtles, if housed correctly, need a very big, pond size living quarters. Too many are kept in aquariums that are just too small. I think turtles are harder when done correctly.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Wellington nailed it. Those two aquatic turtles will need 200+ gallons of water to be happy when they grow to full size. And a much larger pond filter. This is not difficult per se but it’s a lot more cost and maintenance than providing for a similarly sized tortoise. You have basically committed yourself to installing a pond when you buy them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wellington nailed it. Those two aquatic turtles will need 200+ gallons of water to be happy when they grow to full size. And a much larger pond filter. This is not difficult per se but it’s a lot more cost and maintenance than providing for a similarly sized tortoise. You have basically committed yourself to installing a pond when you buy them.
Which sadly, too many people think they can live in an aquarium their whole life.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Once tortoises are adults I think they are easier. As hatchlings, when set up correctly, started correctly, and fed correctly, they will eat just about anything you give them. Totally correct hatchlings can be hard to find. If done right though, I don't think they are that hard. Turtles, if housed correctly, need a very big, pond size living quarters. Too many are kept in aquariums that are just too small. I think turtles are harder when done correctly.
I concur 100%

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's a matter of opinion. In my case, turtles are much easier if you keep them outside in a pond, but quite a bit harder if you have to have them in an aquarium in the house.

In fact, that works both ways. Both turtles and tortoises are pretty easy to keep if you have them set up outside in a natural-to-the-species setting.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I hate this subject. Mostly because "I" am that person. I have turtles, tortoises, cats, birds and 1 damn Mid-land painted turtle in my dining room in a 150 aquarium. He has 3 decent sized goldlfish for pets, the fish are now bigger than he. He's grown, and on days when I put box turtles in the pond, I put him in a bare kiddie pool. Frankly it's his fault I keep him that way...he puts up with how i keep him and he acts happy as long as he's chasing minnows and nightcrawlers, see how it's his fault???lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hate this subject. Mostly because "I" am that person. I have turtles, tortoises, cats, birds and 1 damn Mid-land painted turtle in my dining room in a 150 aquarium. He has 3 decent sized goldlfish for pets, the fish are now bigger than he. He's grown, and on days when I put box turtles in the pond, I put him in a bare kiddie pool. Frankly it's his fault I keep him that way...he puts up with how i keep him and he acts happy as long as he's chasing minnows and nightcrawlers, see how it's his fault???lol
Yeah, sure,its his fault wink, wink lol.
That's why I stopped having turtles. They had a nice big pond for summer, but I had to bring them in for winter. It's just not fair to them and it's not the right way. I know some situations can't be helped, but then again, rehoming them to a pond owner is the best way to go, but not always easy, specially if it's a red earred sliders.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you happen to live in a climate that is suitable for your species to live outdoors. And you're not keeping any of the giant species. Tortoise keeping can be easier than flossing your teeth.
So easy. In fact. That even I can do it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you happen to live in a climate that is suitable for your species to live outdoors. And you're not keeping any of the giant species. Tortoise keeping can be easier than flossing your teeth.
So easy. In fact. That even I can do it.
What's wrong with the giant ones? Just as easy, just need a lot more room, more food, big pooper scooper and if a sulcata, sturdier fencing lol.