Tweak my husbandry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julirs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tamps Bay, Florida
Ted the Redfoot is housed in a cement mixing pan from Lowes. Substrate is cypress mulch that I mist twice daily. He has a hide made from a butter tub. He has available water in a dish sunken into the substrate. Have you ever seen a more rigged setup! My ceramic heater should arrive this week, but in the mean time there is a 75 watt regular household bulb on the screen (lower light) and a red 50w spot bulb on the upper wire stand. The UVB light is prob nearing the end of its life and is a Reptisun 5.0 (I am a chameleon breeder!) Temps in the hot side of the cage are 90's, and then 80's in the cooler side. Feeding Mustard, Dandelion, Endive, Collards all finely chopped, and strawberries twice a week-which he loves. Actually he is quite happy to eat. Living in Florida I am hoping to get him out in the yard eventually. Critique and suggest away!

DSCN5513.jpg

DSCN5544.jpg

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I like it! I would only suggest puting the basking light more toward one end so there is a greater variation in temps!

Julirs

5 Year Member
Tamps Bay, Florida
bettinge said:
I like it! I would only suggest puting the basking light more toward one end so there is a greater variation in temps!

Great! Thanks! I will do that now. I really do not see him moving around too much-but I suppose the young ones hide at most young do.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Also, reds like low light. They are a forest floor dwelling tortoise, to be in direct "sunlight" is stressful for him. What is your humidity? You might want to cover one end of the enclosure to keep more in.

Also, a few inches of substrate will allow him to burrow in and hide. I also use fake silk plants for all my tort enclosures. You can get them much cheaper at a craft store, than a pet store. They make great natural looking hides, and are also site barriers.

His food should be dusted with Ca at every meal until he is at least a year old as well, to prevent his shell from going soft.

Julirs

5 Year Member
Tamps Bay, Florida
Meg90 said:
Also, reds like low light. They are a forest floor dwelling tortoise, to be in direct "sunlight" is stressful for him. What is your humidity? You might want to cover one end of the enclosure to keep more in.

Also, a few inches of substrate will allow him to burrow in and hide. I also use fake silk plants for all my tort enclosures. You can get them much cheaper at a craft store, than a pet store. They make great natural looking hides, and are also site barriers.

His food should be dusted with Ca at every meal until he is at least a year old as well, to prevent his shell from going soft.

OK! Great suggestions. I am used to supplementing with all of the other Reptiles. Is Repcal no D3 OK to use? As far as lighting-what is everyone using for light and heat? The substrate is a few inches deep and he does burrow into it. So far-here in FL-humidity seems OK-but I could certainly cover half of the tub with plastic to hold more in.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Repcal is perfect, as well as the no D3 (they get it from the bulb--the supplement form gets stored up in their fat and can get toxic.)

I don't have RF's but I know most people use either a red bulb, or a ceramic heat emitter for heat, and those UVB tubes for lights.

Also, I know that Terry has a bullet proof care sheet that he has designed for redfoots, babies who's owners followed the care sheet have red foots without pyramiding, that are just beautiful. I'll see if I can find you the link---or I'm sure he could post it for you.

Do you know what the humidity is in the enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might consider closing off the "openness" a bit by placing some plants, either artificial or real, all around inside the habitat. And maybe some sphagnum moss in the hide.

Here are a couple links to care sheets written by people I can stand behind. But remember, I'm not the Tortoise Forum...I'm my own self and speaking only for myself:

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/redfootcare.htm
www.redfoots.com/

Also, Mike Pingleton has written a couple books on the care of redfoot tortoises. They're not too expensive and a good idea to have one of them for back up.

Yvonne

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I just thought I would post these, because I'm hoping it will turn you into a beliver of fake plants :D

This is Novalee. She's 3 months old today. This is her favorite plant.
CleoandNovaandsomeutubevids007.jpg

And this is Anouk, my other Greek girl, when she was about 6 months old.
newenclosureanouk020.jpg

Noushka023.jpg

Julirs

5 Year Member
Tamps Bay, Florida
Meg90 said:
I just thought I would post these, because I'm hoping it will turn you into a beliver of fake plants :D

I certainly have enough fake plants around here for baby chams, I will wash some up and put them in there. They do not try to eat them do they?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
No---they might "taste them" but after they realize its not food, they leave them alone. Little torts try everything. Novalee has tasted rocks, her slate, and a plant I think. All once, then she realizes its just there to look pretty. :) I think your little red would be thrilled to hide under some ferns.

I'd love to see pictures of your chams. You should start a thread on them in the other pets section.

Julirs

5 Year Member
Tamps Bay, Florida
Meg90 said:
No---they might "taste them" but after they realize its not food, they leave them alone. Little torts try everything. Novalee has tasted rocks, her slate, and a plant I think. All once, then she realizes its just there to look pretty. :) I think your little red would be thrilled to hide under some ferns.

I'd love to see pictures of your chams. You should start a thread on them in the other pets section.

I will post some that I took today in the Other Pets section. You can also look at my website that is in my signature.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I did check out the site! and OMG the fourth pic down on babies page! That little FACE! Could I get a print maybe? :D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I definitely think some plants will go a long way! That way, you have hides in several different areas. Also agree to tone down the light when you have more heat. That should get him even more active. Remember that all the greens you are feeding are high in oxalic acid, although great. You will want to rotate through some that are also lower in oxalic acid, such as the lettuces (spring mix is great for them), and turnip greens. What other fruits do you plan on feeding, and do you plan on giving protein? Best wishes. So cute!

Shalon

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:

Just watch for awhile. My red foot tries to eat everything that goes into it's housing area, including the thermometer and humidity gauge. So nothing that she can't eat can stay in there..lol!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Why would you want to put fake plants in there if you could put real ones that would help hold the humidity? Also I wouldn't put any basking light at all...only a heat emitter on one side and a 5.0 long tube UVB on the other side. Baby Redfoots don't bask. They usually eat and then hide. Good luck...he is adorable. I remember when mine was that little.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I use fake because though I do wonders with reptiles, I can't keep a plant alive to save my own life. I kill everything. Included cat ferns, peace lilys, and pothos. Some of us missed the green thumb gene. Perhaps you can suggest some nice, redfoot safe plants she could use, Terry? And I know you follow the care sheet...would you want to post the link?

I wish there was a fool-proof care sheet for Greeks! I'd gladly follow it! I'd love to have someone tell me all the right care practices!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Sorry Meg. I don't know about Greeks, but I do know Redfoots like humidity thats why I use the live plants. Your animals are all beautiful, so I'm sure you woud do well with plants...they're easier. lol
Julirs:
This is the easiest care sheet ...IMHO....for Redfoots, and one that I have been following for over two years.

http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Julirs said:
Ted the Redfoot is housed in a cement mixing pan from Lowes. Substrate is cypress mulch that I mist twice daily. He has a hide made from a butter tub. He has available water in a dish sunken into the substrate. Have you ever seen a more rigged setup! My ceramic heater should arrive this week, but in the mean time there is a 75 watt regular household bulb on the screen (lower light) and a red 50w spot bulb on the upper wire stand. The UVB light is prob nearing the end of its life and is a Reptisun 5.0 (I am a chameleon breeder!) Temps in the hot side of the cage are 90's, and then 80's in the cooler side. Feeding Mustard, Dandelion, Endive, Collards all finely chopped, and strawberries twice a week-which he loves. Actually he is quite happy to eat. Living in Florida I am hoping to get him out in the yard eventually. Critique and suggest away!

DSCN5513.jpg

DSCN5544.jpg

OOOOO. KKKKKKK. Thanks for asking.

Critique-ing and suggest-ing away!

Is it wise to listen to those who have indicated that they don't keep redfoot tortoises? Suggesting to not listen to them.

Turn off 90% of those lights.. suggesting again!

Forget everything you know about reptiles.. because a great deal of it has nothing to do with caring for redfoot tortoises. This is a Critique.

Feed them the fewest things with the mostest nutrients.. and you'll never need to "supplement"! THIS IS A RULE.

Read everything in the links in my signature.. and follow the links and you'll see what my '05 hatchlings look like now as a result.. example..

ButterscotchL109.jpg

Are there other ways of caring for redfoots?.. of course - you've heard how many already. In fact here they've already talked about their Mediterraneans [ I have no idea why!?!.. has nothing to do with South American tortoises ] BEWARE of the 'old' Mediterranean caresheets.

I've probly stepped on too many toes already so I'll leave it to you...

Terry K

BTW.. the last.. Star article link.. ignore..
GRIN.gif

Julirs

5 Year Member
Tamps Bay, Florida
Thanks Terry! You cannot step on my toes! You learn in this hobby to listen to the people that are sucessful!

As far as all of the lights and things...

I now have a 60Watt ceramic heater near his hide-so we have a warm end and a room temp (75-ish) cool end. The UVB tube is across the end of the cool end.

After reading your article I made the substrate deeper and am keeping it more moist-I have covered one end with plastic to keep humidity and moisture up.

Feeding all of the best things in small quantities!

Feel free to offer advice-anytime!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.