Two Box turtles-Not getting along

Raqualle Brainard

I've had a box turtle (Bradley) that I purchased from our local pet shop, a few months and all seems to be going well. Recently I was driving around and I saw a turtle in the middle of the road. I picked him up and brought him home, named him/her blaire. But anyways every time they are near each other bradley opens his mouth and seems to try and bite blaire, but I don't let him get close enough to. I'm worried they won't bond and one will end up hurting the other or worse, dead. Im concerned because I'm building an outdoor enclosure and didn't know if there was any hope of them getting along or should I build them separate ones? Or if it was big enough they would learn to deal with one another?
Thank you for any feedback! I'm new to this :D

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello. Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry but I think you need to release your found box turtle back to the wild. Chances are he will not adapt to captivity and will die. Take him back where you found him in place him a ways back off the road in the direction he was traveling. He will always want to get back to where he came from. And The to box turtles may never get along especially if they are both mail.
Having said all this, please tell us where you are from and if you can provide some pictures of the box turtle. Depending on where you are from and if that box turtle is native to that area may determine if you can release it back.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They won't bond. I'm not sure whether you're seeing aggression or mating aggression. They need to be separate.

A series of unfortunate events here. The best thing to do when you are lucky enough to have a native wild population is to leave any turtle you find in the wild. Some states have laws protecting turtles, some allow limited collecting. If it's crossing the road, help it to the other side. If its habitat is destroyed, then you rescue it.

Any new animal should be quarantined for months before introducing to another. Had you quarantined, that wild caught turtle could be released.

Wild turtles that have been exposed to captive turtles are not supposed to be released because they can introduce pathogens and kill off the local population.

Not a cheery welcome, I'm afraid. Post a picture & your general location so we can id the species & give you better advice on care.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Raquelle and welcome to Tortoise Forum.
They will definitely need separate enclosures if you are going to keep them both.
Tortoises/ don't need or want friends, are very territorial and will stress, injure or kill each other if kept in an enclosure together.