Two new additions

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
Very cool, congrats!

Wow you say they’re 4-5 years old. I don’t remember how old mine was when I adopted him, but I was thinking he was younger. Now that I see yours, I think maybe mine was a lot older because I think mine was a lot bigger than yours when I got him. I’ll have to find his paper work to see how old he was. I've been telling everybody that I thought he about 10 years old now. :confused:

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Well Johnny, it was just their guess and they could also be just small for their age or even a different subspecies... There no telling!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
They're so beautiful!!!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Thank you both. After I snapped the photos, I moved Sahara over to the second pile of spring mix so they could eat in peace. Both chowed down on their respective piles. Just hope the harmony lasts for another month or so, until I can get the second enclosure set up.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Only been a little over a week, I will get their weights tomorrow. Both are eating, basking, exploring and sleeping a lot. They both sleep in separate hides and very rarely even bother to pay each other any mind. I have been watching them both very closely, and no one appears to be afraid to eat, sleep or bask. Both are extremely out going and just do their own thing.

I did catch them staring at each other today, Sahara is the one in the hide, Mojave was basking and then suddenly he moved in for a closure look. After about a minute, Sahara exited the hide to go graze and Mojave walked over to the other hide and took a nap.

Here are some photos.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411359774.130081.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411359806.201790.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411359815.295105.jpg

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Great progress! :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Thank you, ascott. I will be getting them separate enclosures soon, knock on wood, they are currently not causing problems for each other.

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
Congrats on your new torts, they are both so pretty.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
littleginsu, Is it a particularly slow growing species? My red foot seems close to that size at less than a year. My 3-4 year old is as big as a womans shoe. (Not mine..size14) I'm wondering if my redfooteds are supersizing because of the climate and food? Or are they faster growers, period. I know that they also have shorter life spans at 35ish years.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
littleginsu, Is it a particularly slow growing species? My red foot seems close to that size at less than a year. My 3-4 year old is as big as a womans shoe. (Not mine..size14) I'm wondering if my redfooteds are supersizing because of the climate and food? Or are they faster growers, period. I know that they also have shorter life spans at 35ish years.
I actually do not know, sorry. These are my first desert tortoises. I am thinking, perhaps, they were not well taken care of by their previous owners, which might be why they are not very big and growing slowly. But honestly, that's just me guessing.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
I actually do not know, sorry. These are my first desert tortoises. I am thinking, perhaps, they were not well taken care of by their previous owners, which might be why they are not very big and growing slowly. But honestly, that's just me guessing.
Cute little guys/girls! I'm interested in what you find out about their growth rate as my little desert tort seems to be on the small side and I'd like to know if he's on track developmentally.